S475 exhaust housing size

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Right now I have a s475 with a 1.10 a/r twin scroll housing and i'm wondering how much difference a 0.90 a/r would help with towing. I don't know what the wheel size is unfortunately, from the research it should be a 83 or 87 correct?... i could probably find out from the previous owner.

Father-in-law recently bought a boat and we have to cross the mountain and it doesn't do well at all on a 10%+ grade with that turbo... thanks in advance

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Right now I have a s475 with a 1.10 a/r twin scroll housing and i'm wondering how much difference a 0.90 a/r would help with towing. I don't know what the wheel size is unfortunately, from the research it should be a 83 or 87 correct?... i could probably find out from the previous owner.

Father-in-law recently bought a boat and we have to cross the mountain and it doesn't do well at all on a 10%+ grade with that turbo... thanks in advance

I would think the .90 AR would help you out tremendously , which Stall converter is in the trans? Especially coming from the 1.10 AR, which is more of a drag/pull non DD truck Ar. Think the going rate is like 150 bucks for a new housing, or maybe someone will trade you out.

Balindir

Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Thanks for the input Slowmax. The converter is a 1053-1, which is a 3000 stall converter... again I know this isn't helping i situation at all, but i picked up the turbo and converter setup from a friend that just got out of sled pulling a couple years back. I originally intend for the truck to run the local "True 2.6 street diesel class" and also daily it. Which has been working wonderfully... until i try to tow... then its a dog and runs HOT...

But I guess i can't have my cake and eat it too. lol

Last edited:

Balindir

Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
I'm liking what i'm hearing. Thank you for the input!

Previous owner is telling me the wheel is a 74mm... is that possible? Or is it custom or something?

Last edited:

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for the input Slowmax. The converter is a 1053-1, which is a 3000 stall converter... again I know this isn't helping i situation at all, but i picked up the turbo and converter setup from a friend that just got out of sled pulling a couple years back. I originally intend for the truck to run the local "True 2.6 street diesel class" and also daily it. Which has been working wonderfully... until i try to tow... then its a dog and runs HOT...

But I guess i can't have my cake and eat it too. lol

Am I stupid or does this not make sense? An S475 is not a 2.6 class turbo?

An S366 would meet 2.6 and would explain a 74mm turbine, I'm confused on what OP actually has in his truck.

Balindir

Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Am I stupid or does this not make sense? An S475 is not a 2.6 class turbo?

An S366 would meet 2.6 and would explain a 74mm turbine, I'm confused on what OP actually has in his truck.

Valid argument... and my apologizes on the confusion. I run a plug to make the inlet 2.6". I bought the turbo from my friend for a good price which is why I purchased it in the first place. Its more turbo than i need, but it works.

But to clarify it is definitely a s475. I will pull the turbo this weekend and measure it the wheel. Where do they measure to, the outside of the inducer or exducer?

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick and was really confused on what you actually have. I didn't think any classes allowed bushed turbos anymore. Did this turbo come off a duramax? If so, I would be really surprised if it wasn't an 87mm turbine. But you are right about the 83 having a 74mm exducer. Looks like you need to break out the calipers!

Balindir

Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Its all good. Yea i'll pull the turbo and see what i'm working with. I'm getting excited about actually being able to spool this turbo. I've been daily driving it for 3 years in the current configuration, i can't remember what its like to have boost under 3000 rpm. :rofl:

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
It will be a huge difference. I went from 1.10 to .90. Before I'd have to use a shot of nitrous to spool it up now it comes up nice and easy, and very fun on the street!