S400 series over 4094 suggestions

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
In yall's opinion, are forged or cast pistons better for daily driving and durability? When I researched it, it seems some people like one over the other for drag setups. What would yall recommend or what have yall had success with? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
I’ve got around 220-250 1/4 mile passes none slower than 11.6 and 25000km on a set of fingers they are a no brainer as far as I’m concerned.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
What did yall do for valve relief depth/size. I'm looking on Alligator and it would be around 3k for rings, wrist pins, and fingers oval bowls. Are yall at standard bore or did you go over bore?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
What did yall do for valve relief depth/size. I'm looking on Alligator and it would be around 3k for rings, wrist pins, and fingers oval bowls. Are yall at standard bore or did you go over bore?

If you have never gotten into the guts of an engine then I personally would not experiment with a dmax. I would call socal or another reputable engine builder and talk to them so you don't have a 15k paper weight. If you have never put a bottom end together and want to learn I'd go pick up a cheap small block.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
If you have never gotten into the guts of an engine then I personally would not experiment with a dmax. I would call socal or another reputable engine builder and talk to them so you don't have a 15k paper weight. If you have never put a bottom end together and want to learn I'd go pick up a cheap small block.
Yeah, I get what you're saying for sure.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
Did you build yours or have it built?

I had my mine built with specific parts. I know my limits. I did do all of the bolt ons prior to "having" to do a build. Ended up with a leaking head gasket which led to a cracked piston and spun bearings.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
This ^^^^

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
I had my mine built with specific parts. I know my limits. I did do all of the bolt ons prior to "having" to do a build. Ended up with a leaking head gasket which led to a cracked piston and spun bearings.
Who built yours if you don't mind me asking?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
im sure fingers can do a custom cut on valve reliefs but .075 gets you where you can run a majority of different cams.

you cant run new cast pistons on a used block and expect to have good piston to wall clearance, a new block is a different story. if going forged pistons, you can make this work on a used good block. cast and proper clearance is best for a DD that you want to mimic stock characteristics (cold starts, mpg, low oil consumption, etc)

fingers pistons take a little work to clean up smoke/haze/rattle but nothing an experienced tuner cant do. mahle race cast generally dont need the same tweaks. trade off is fingers dont crack/break, mahle race cast still have the potential to.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
im sure fingers can do a custom cut on valve reliefs but .075 gets you where you can run a majority of different cams.

you cant run new cast pistons on a used block and expect to have good piston to wall clearance, a new block is a different story. if going forged pistons, you can make this work on a used good block. cast and proper clearance is best for a DD that you want to mimic stock characteristics (cold starts, mpg, low oil consumption, etc)

fingers pistons take a little work to clean up smoke/haze/rattle but nothing an experienced tuner cant do. mahle race cast generally dont need the same tweaks. trade off is fingers dont crack/break, mahle race cast still have the potential to.

How much would you say a new block and cast would run? I'm not really in a position to dump $20k+ into an engine currently, but I'd like something capable of around 800hp DD. Wish I had more disposable income, haha...

Reactions: Potthoffdmax

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How much would you say a new block and cast would run? I'm not really in a position to dump $20k+ into an engine currently, but I'd like something capable of around 800hp DD. Wish I had more disposable income, haha...

much more than a bore over. im sure cost is higher now but last i looked a long while back, LML block was 2500.

again, ive been out of the current sky rocket in pricing and limited availability of parts but you should be able to build an 800hp long block for around 10-15k. price will vary on machine shop, parts used, upgrades, etc.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
much more than a bore over. im sure cost is higher now but last i looked a long while back, LML block was 2500.

again, ive been out of the current sky rocket in pricing and limited availability of parts but you should be able to build an 800hp long block for around 10-15k. price will vary on machine shop, parts used, upgrades, etc.
Thanks for all the good info. I really appreciate it.