S300sxe

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
How compatibility are the old and the s3xx? I was thinking about swapping out the exhaust turbine wheel. From what I understand the the new turbines aren't clipped like the old style. I was hoping I could swap in the new compressor and turbines wheel along with the new compressor cover instead of buying a new turbo. Is this possible?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
How compatibility are the old and the s3xx? I was thinking about swapping out the exhaust turbine wheel. From what I understand the the new turbines aren't clipped like the old style. I was hoping I could swap in the new compressor and turbines wheel along with the new compressor cover instead of buying a new turbo. Is this possible?

The new 69s flow just as much as the 72s.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Possible, yes. All the parts are interchangeable. But with the pricing on the new S300SX-E line, it'd be cheaper just to buy the new unit. You could reuse your old turbine housing to save a little though.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
JDub, not to get you in trouble, but are you HTT?

One of these SXEs sound perfect for my red truck when the time comes.

Im going sound like a complete newb, but what kind of HP could we reasonably expect these to support as a single?

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
JDub, not to get you in trouble, but are you HTT?

One of these SXEs sound perfect for my red truck when the time comes.

Im going sound like a complete newb, but what kind of HP could we reasonably expect these to support as a single?

Yes, I am the Performance Sales Manager for HTT. Since we don't sponsor any forums, I try to keep away from the 'selling' side of things and just try to chime in with answers to questions when I think I can help.

As for the power they'll support, it's really hard to say at this point as we just don't have that many out there yet and don't have dyno charts on them. The HTT S371 has done 800hp in an LB7, but that is pushing it way past what I'd say it's limits are, as the back pressure and EGT's would be pretty extreme with that kind of fuel. On paper, this new 369 actually outflows the 71mm wheel we've been using, so the potential is there, but with the turbine wheel no longer being clipped, I think that will be the limiting factor. The new SXE making more boost than the standard S300's do, and is spooling and responding better at low and mid RPM due to not being clipped, but it is a little more restrictive on the top end. It's going to be a much better turbo to drive however. But I would see no reason that 69mm could be used on a 700hp application and be fairly 'streetable' at that.

Have a customer in Florida running one on a 2014 6.7L Ford, crew cab short bed (8500lbs) and just went 12.8@107mph with only 1800uS. That motor is pretty similar to a Dmax and calculator says he's gotta be 700+ at the tires and he tows with it on a regular basis.

Both SDP Twins and Wherli Fab have a couple of the 66 and 69 SXE turbos they are testing in their kits and have given great 'driver' feedback, but have yet to get any dyno time with them. SDP will be running the 369 with a GT4718, so that should be interesting.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Possible, yes. All the parts are interchangeable. But with the pricing on the new S300SX-E line, it'd be cheaper just to buy the new unit. You could reuse your old turbine housing to save a little though.

Do you know how much it would be for just the turbine wheel? I would like to see if it will help fix the spool at 1500 RPM under load without too crazy of EGTs. Otherwise I don't see much point of getting a new S366 or sS369.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Do you know how much it would be for just the turbine wheel? I would like to see if it will help fix the spool at 1500 RPM under load without too crazy of EGTs. Otherwise I don't see much point of getting a new S366 or sS369.

Borg Warner has not released any of the SX-E components as piece parts yet. You'd need to find someone wanting to swap the older clipped shaft into the SX-E

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yes, I am the Performance Sales Manager for HTT. Since we don't sponsor any forums, I try to keep away from the 'selling' side of things and just try to chime in with answers to questions when I think I can help.

As for the power they'll support, it's really hard to say at this point as we just don't have that many out there yet and don't have dyno charts on them. The HTT S371 has done 800hp in an LB7, but that is pushing it way past what I'd say it's limits are, as the back pressure and EGT's would be pretty extreme with that kind of fuel. On paper, this new 369 actually outflows the 71mm wheel we've been using, so the potential is there, but with the turbine wheel no longer being clipped, I think that will be the limiting factor. The new SXE making more boost than the standard S300's do, and is spooling and responding better at low and mid RPM due to not being clipped, but it is a little more restrictive on the top end. It's going to be a much better turbo to drive however. But I would see no reason that 69mm could be used on a 700hp application and be fairly 'streetable' at that.

Have a customer in Florida running one on a 2014 6.7L Ford, crew cab short bed (8500lbs) and just went 12.8@107mph with only 1800uS. That motor is pretty similar to a Dmax and calculator says he's gotta be 700+ at the tires and he tows with it on a regular basis.

Both SDP Twins and Wherli Fab have a couple of the 66 and 69 SXE turbos they are testing in their kits and have given great 'driver' feedback, but have yet to get any dyno time with them. SDP will be running the 369 with a GT4718, so that should be interesting.

Thank you. Nice to know you're here. I figured you had may have already seen the maps and had some idea what they could support. 700 would be fine with me.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
This is the map on the new 69mm compressor wheel, shows big numbers, but again, I think the turbine side will be the restriction to making big power. But there should be no issue doing 700...

t2JYYc.jpg

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
This is the map on the new 69mm compressor wheel, shows big numbers, but again, I think the turbine side will be the restriction to making big power. But there should be no issue doing 700...
Thats why I was wondering if that comp wheel was going to come out in a s400 & hopefully with a 87tw

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Borg Warner is working on some new S400SX stuff, but hasn't let the cat out of the bag with all the details as of yet.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

t2JYYc.jpg
After testing this turbo in real world conditions, would it be possible to change out the turbine wheel and/or housing to make it a better overall charger? Maybe use the older S300 exhaust side with the newer comp side?

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Absolutely, we are just getting some 1.0 a/r turbine housings machined to work with them and have the ability to grind the turbine wheel with the older style clip (which would be cheaper than buying the older turbine wheel and swapping it out)

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
After testing this turbo in real world conditions, would it be possible to change out the turbine wheel and/or housing to make it a better overall charger? Maybe use the older S300 exhaust side with the newer comp side?
The way I read it the new turbine wheel is better down low for spooling & the older design wheel is a little better on the top end
They have a 1.0 housing divided inlet avaible now, the only option for more flow over the 1.0 would be one of those SS v-band housings from bullseye

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I know jackshidt about turbos, but this has been an interesting discussion and has been fairly ok to understand. It all seemed logical to me. Thanks for the information, guys.