?'s on ppe stage 5

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Hey guys, just got my ppe stage 5 ordered and I am super excited to get her installed. I will be installing the kit myself and would like to prepare myself for whatever is thrown at me. I printed all install info pertaining to this kit and also ordered an atsg manual. One of the topics I read a lot about is c2 hub damage and spline twisting. I've read the twisting is due to too many clutches in the c2 pack which the kit I'm getting does not have to many so I'm not necessarily worried about that but more about the c2 hub. Most everyone is blaming this on the Kolene steels being harder than the soft hub, so do I install new factory steels in place of these to keep this from happening or is this a deal with it situation? I will be ordering all of mikes springs, I ordered all new torringtons and also a pump rub kit. I believe the kit does not come with the tool for compressing the spring for the pump, is this something I something I should buy, make, or can it be done without the tool? I also plan to pick up new filters and plan to use dex 3. Is there anything I'm forgetting or any "useful" advice anyone has? Thanks to anyone willing to chime in and offer help.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
A friend of mine has a 2.6 truck and basically became a dealer for his own personal money saving reasons and is giving me his cost on the kit. I would've went suncoast but would've have damn near double the money in it. I can't say I've ever read anything terrible about the ppe kit, it may be out dated but it has been tested and proven in many trucks.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Hey guys, just got my ppe stage 5 ordered and I am super excited to get her installed. I will be installing the kit myself and would like to prepare myself for whatever is thrown at me. I printed all install info pertaining to this kit and also ordered an atsg manual. One of the topics I read a lot about is c2 hub damage and spline twisting. I've read the twisting is due to too many clutches in the c2 pack which the kit I'm getting does not have to many so I'm not necessarily worried about that but more about the c2 hub. Most everyone is blaming this on the Kolene steels being harder than the soft hub, so do I install new factory steels in place of these to keep this from happening or is this a deal with it situation? I will be ordering all of mikes springs, I ordered all new torringtons and also a pump rub kit. I believe the kit does not come with the tool for compressing the spring for the pump, is this something I something I should buy, make, or can it be done without the tool? I also plan to pick up new filters and plan to use dex 3. Is there anything I'm forgetting or any "useful" advice anyone has? Thanks to anyone willing to chime in and offer help.

You are reading a lot of things wrong and listening to the wrong people. C2 hubs can twist by having too many clutches in C2, bad tuning, wrong clearance, faulty speed sensor, or cranking up the power and jumping on the throttle before the TCM learns what you did.
Thin koleen steels will notch the splines in the front rotating drum because it's made of soft material and has nothing to do with the C2 hub.
The key to making an Allison hold up and last is proper preparation and combination of parts. Attention to every little detail is critical.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Ok good "true" info. So if there were a part to add or a part to remove to and from the kit to allow the transmission to live longer what would it be? I understand it has a lot to do with driving habits along with tuning and other various factors. I don't want this to be a learn from your mistakes build. Yeah I know the kit is what it is and maybe 5 years from now I might say " well now I know what works and what doesn't". And I also know this is how all the big guys learned. Do I just roll with mikes springs and whats in the kit or is there more I can do to have a properly, well rounded install and transmission? Thanks for the info

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
"Thin koleen steels will notch the splines in the front rotating drum because it's made of soft material and has nothing to do with the C2 hub."

What are my options to keeping this from happening?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
"Thin koleen steels will notch the splines in the front rotating drum because it's made of soft material and has nothing to do with the C2 hub."

What are my options to keeping this from happening?

Don't use thin Kolene steels. When you a buy a kit from someone like Suncoast you can call them directly and have your questions answered. You get what you pay for.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
No problem, I'll call ppe. Thanks for the "don't use thin kolenes". Kinda figured it would turn into a buy suncoast thread and I'm still waiting on the "don't do it yourself" comment. I understand everyone is %100 suncoast and I would buy suncoast, but it doesn't make sense to me to spend double the money when I can put that towards other upgrades. Yeah you get what you pay for but in reality is it a junk kit? No, I don't believe so. I spoke with mike a few weeks ago and I got "for what you want, it's a good kit but there is better". And I know that. I'm not here to compare kits, I'm here just asking a few legitimate questions pertaining to my build and my kit. I also am not bein a dick by any means when I say all this, so please don't take me the wrong way.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
No problem, I'll call ppe. Thanks for the "don't use thin kolenes". Kinda figured it would turn into a buy suncoast thread and I'm still waiting on the "don't do it yourself" comment. I understand everyone is %100 suncoast and I would buy suncoast, but it doesn't make sense to me to spend double the money when I can put that towards other upgrades. Yeah you get what you pay for but in reality is it a junk kit? No, I don't believe so. I spoke with mike a few weeks ago and I got "for what you want, it's a good kit but there is better". And I know that. I'm not here to compare kits, I'm here just asking a few legitimate questions pertaining to my build and my kit. I also am not bein a dick by any means when I say all this, so please don't take me the wrong way.

It's not turning into a you should of bought Suncoast thread. I just stated you wouldn't have to worry about your questions being answered if you did or if you even bought the kit you did from a legit vendor who knows the answers. If your HP goals aren't that high the kit will work just fine and has done so in many trucks. I think you should build it yourself and I encourage and help people who do on an almost daily basis do so.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
I know where you're coming from and thanks for encouraging the build, just looking for some info, that's what these forums are for. It's like comparing cars, Mercedes or a Chevrolet, of course there's a difference and everyone who likes Mercedes will tell you to buy one and that Chevys are junk and you get what you pay for when are they really junk? No, we all know that and that is something the public has the access to knowing. This however is a specialty knowledge that some people are interested learning. Hard to get good 100% true info.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
I am in the same boat. I am going to be building my trans again. I always hear the key to making an allison live is the right combination of parts set up the right way. people always say this but I have yet to read a thread with good details on what to use where and what the specs should be. That would be a great thread if ever created. I dont know it all by any means. I can usually accomplish anything that I need to get done. My last build was a sc stg 4. It lasted two work stock pulling seasons and is still behind my twins. My issue and reason for the build is a faulty converter. If anybody wants to chime in with what to use and where to make an allison live that would be sweet. If needed I can start a new thread.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I am in the same boat. I am going to be building my trans again. I always hear the key to making an allison live is the right combination of parts set up the right way. people always say this but I have yet to read a thread with good details on what to use where and what the specs should be. That would be a great thread if ever created. I dont know it all by any means. I can usually accomplish anything that I need to get done. My last build was a sc stg 4. It lasted two work stock pulling seasons and is still behind my twins. My issue and reason for the build is a faulty converter. If anybody wants to chime in with what to use and where to make an allison live that would be sweet. If needed I can start a new thread.

Probably not going to find that info on the internet. I like doing things myself too, but if you want a trans built truly correct, gonna have to get it to a shop that actually knows how to build them. Some people get by with self builds, bit when you start making real power, it gets a lot more difficult to make them hold.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Those are builder secrets. If we all knew them then they wouldn't have work.

I don't think anyone will be too willing to hand out that information.

On another note, good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk