LBZ: running too cool?

duramaxxx06

Aug 11, 2009
jasper tn
here the last few days we've had this cold spell my truck has stayed around the 170-180 ish mark. if i run it hard, it will ge tup to barely 200 but then drops right back down. and unless ive got the climate control on 90 it blows cool. . anyyone else have this problem?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I dont have the heater issue but when its cold here my truck runs about the same temp as yours but the heat still works good . The make winter fron covers for the grill to slow air flow and help keep temps up , but i have never used one so cant say on how they work or if there are any down falls to running them .

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
X2 on what Trent said... I haven't looked to see if this will work on our truck's yet. But my brother has a Cummins and he just slip's a cardboard peice with a couple hole's cutout in it between the radiator and the intercooler and that work's fine for his rig.

Edit: You can pop out black platic cover, and be able to install the cardboard between the trans cooler and intercooler. Wish I could get a peice to sit between the radiator and IC though, owell this oughta work fine

Last edited:

Dashman

Oct 11, 2009
Low Coolant Temperature

My Duramax had always operated at 210 Degrees, consistently, never over heated, never hoovered at a lower temperature, and didn't matter if winter or summer (over course it took longer to get there in the winter). Then I had 3 injectors go bad, so I replaced all 8, and deleted the EGR. In deleting the EGR, I capped the exhaust pipe, built a new air pipe to connect to the stock intercooler coupler, and I left the electrical connector unplugged. I did reprogram the ECM to delete the EGR with HP tuners software, but it had no change. After all this, the temperature hoovers at 185, and only gets to 210 if I'm punching it out. Even then, it comes back down real quick. Any ideas? Could it be the fan coming in too quick due to an EGR based control? I really don't care, but my heater isn't getting warm enough now in the winter. Thanks for any replies!

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
has anyone on here had any problems with the blend doors on those trucks?

sometimes if i disconnect the batteries my mode doors will act up and not actuate....you can do a mode door relearn with a tech 2 and that should solve actuator problems but dont sound like thats the issue.

duramaxxx06

Aug 11, 2009
jasper tn
i dunno. . seems like as long as i keep it on 90 it blows warm but if i drop it to 89 it gets cold. . almost like you turned the air on. .

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Mine has always been like that it not cool at 89 but there is a very noticeable difference from 90*. I also use a winter cover in the "winter" anything below 50-60 and my trucks runs 180 without a cover. I don't care where I have to set my climate controls as long as they keep me conferable.

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
I live in georgia and from what i can tell your in Tenn.... not much climate change from here to there and i can set mine on 75 and the inside of mine will be perfect as soon as it gets warm. You may have an issue somewhere with that.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
here the last few days we've had this cold spell my truck has stayed around the 170-180 ish mark. if i run it hard, it will ge tup to barely 200 but then drops right back down. and unless ive got the climate control on 90 it blows cool. . anyyone else have this problem?

I did on my '05 Chev when I had both my bumper cover and winter front on. I have no idea why though. I have never put the bumper cover on my '07 and have no issues with just the winter front.