Running a single battery

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Mine will not even turn over with one battery. It’s tore down for some upgrades at the time. I’m putting a Northstar AGM34/78 under the hood, and a AGM31 where the spare tire was. I’ll be using either 1/0 or 2/0 for writing. Also building an enclosed box for it. I hated how the one on the pass side frame rail looked.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I run one single odyssey on my 05 GMC daily driver and haven’t had issues starting it ever. Was -23 the other morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
It quit working this winter though. Still would start at 10 degrees alright. I fixed it before it got any colder then that.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I think my biggest problem is as soon as I turn the key on everything comes on, lift pump, hids, radio, etc. I don't like the frame mount battery either. Maybe bigger battery cables on the single battery would help? As soon as I hook jumper cables up it starts right up. Today I went to start it after it was plugged in all night and I still had to jump it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would say bigger cables would help stockers are pretty small when you consider you only have power from 1 source and 1 set of cables.

I couldn't get my truck to start with one battery when the side post went bad on the other. I wasted a bunch time trying to find something else wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I can’t use one 1/2 filled block, with 15.1 it doesn’t like stating when cold with one battery.

Is it filled above the bottom of the freeze plug? The heating element goes up. You should be able to use one still.

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
I'm single Dekka battery, stock driverside location only.

I've never had a low on 'juice' starting issue. If anything bad glow plugs and low compression in 10*F and under weather to cause a no start... but, never ran the battery low cranking.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Just to give an update on this....I couldn't figure out why my truck wouldn't start at anything below 40 degrees. So the other week I hopped in my truck and it was 100% quiet and I could hear a humming sound. Started tracing wires and whoever hooked my guages up (they were in it when I bought it) wired the pyro to a 12v constant power :mad: I swapped out the gauges for new isspros a few weeks ago and rewired everything. Got in it this morning after it has sat for a week and it was 25 degrees out this morning, started right up with the same single stock battery

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Glad you found the problem I bet that took a load off your mind , things like that are frustrating and thanks for letting us know what you found , it may help someone else !

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Just another update to this. After I replaced the guages I still had some problems with it starting when it got cold. During the summer I installed new grounds from the block to the frame and battery to frame. It was 15 degrees a couple days ago and it started right up when I hit the remote start :D same single battery is in the truck haven't had to hot shot it once this year