Rudys Up-pipe Warning

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Hey guys. Just a heads up. We tried some of Rudys passenger side up pipes. Bought 3 of them. The first truck we installed a couple months ago. Had a bad tic sound that would not go away. Changed gaskets twice. Checked everything multiple times. Customer agreed to bring it back after driving it a little bit so we could look for soot and find the leak.(he don't put many miles on the truck)

Fast forward to last week. We installed another one. Boom. This truck did the exact same thing. Well after seeing how the bellow is sitting installed I think that's what is causing the issues. After always using Deviants up pipe with zero issues I learned why not to go cheap on them.

Seems like Rudys is going with cheap Chinese knock off garbage. Just want to warn other members so they don't have this head ache.

Stick with Pro-fab or actual made in America parts.

Attachments

• 20180130_135346.jpg
    20180130_135346.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180202_171935.jpg
    20180202_171935.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 163

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Wow. That’s unfortunate. Definitely best to stick with quality products like profab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Caveat emptor.

Buy proven parts the first time, or spend double to fix a problem. Your choice.

HWI

Feb 7, 2016
FL
Rudys is chinese junk, pretty good amount of posts on their stuff on the various duramax fb groups.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I've seen it. Bad part is PPE is not much better. Still a generic knock off of pro-fab. Dan got called out on where his are made. He disappeared into his cave. :confused:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The PPE up-pipes suck on the Ford 6.0L as well. My brother found that out the hard way. Called them out at SEMA and they weaseled big time. Even the up-pipes on their demo motor didn't fit, but "that's normal, mock up engines never fit right." oh, OK then

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I have the same Up pipe with a similar issue but have yet to find soot to verify where it is leaking. I was impressed however how easy it bolted on, everything lined up well.

I purchased their EGR delete kit first and was impressed with the fit and finish of it other than 1 bracket not lining up below the alternator.

They are scary close to having a good product for a cheep price. Being 1-2 days away on Amazon Prime at a cheep price is very tempting.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I thought a while back Mark Broviak said he liked the PPE manifolds and up-pipes?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I thought a while back Mark Broviak said he liked the PPE manifolds and up-pipes?

if he said that its maybe because there is some sort of partnership there, its been proven too many times profab is far superior to ppe so why would anyone especially someone like him boast about a 2nd tier part

after going cheap on uppipes years ago i learned my lesson too, ill never buy anything put profab regardless of cost

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
if he said that its maybe because there is some sort of partnership there, its been proven too many times profab is far superior to ppe so why would anyone especially someone like him boast about a 2nd tier part

after going cheap on uppipes years ago i learned my lesson too, ill never buy anything put profab regardless of cost

I do like and use PPE manifolds and pipes! We have had nothing but great luck with them! I also love Profabs too and have a great relationship with Rick! I have had a relationship with PPE since 2006 without any issues. I don't know what issues you have had with PPE's manifolds but we have used them on 1800hp+ builds along with Tony B. and they work great and are a lot cheaper than some of the other options available out there that you are just paying for shiny billet parts without a proven gain from or the same reliability. I have seen and tried almost everything available on the market in the last 12 years and I take it personal when someone like you says shit you apparently don't understand or know about! I have also seen the Rudy's set come through the shop and they are cheap junk I wouldn't install on my own ride. I only run and sell stuff I would put on my own vehicles, period!

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I do like and use PPE manifolds and pipes! We have had nothing but great luck with them! I also love Profabs too and have a great relationship with Rick! I have had a relationship with PPE since 2006 without any issues. I don't know what issues you have had with PPE's manifolds but we have used them on 1800hp+ builds along with Tony B. and they work great and are a lot cheaper than some of the other options available out there that you are just paying for shiny billet parts without a proven gain from or the same reliability. I have seen and tried almost everything available on the market in the last 12 years and I take it personal when someone like you says shit you apparently don't understand or know about! I have also seen the Rudy's set come through the shop and they are cheap junk I wouldn't install on my own ride. I only run and sell stuff I would put on my own vehicles, period!

take it easy i wasn't attacking you

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
All very good info here. I like Rick, and have nothing negative to say about Pro-Fab products whatsoever.

But the PPE up-pipes are $299 for a set. And they look very nice. Unfortunately in this day and age most people won’t pay any more then they feel they need to. Since PPE has a big name in the industry it’s difficult to get people to pay more for Pro-Fab parts then the PPE parts. My own personal truck has Pro-Fab up-pipes, and I continue to recommend them. But as a businessman if someone won’t buy pro-fab ones, but they will buy PPE ones I can’t turn down the possibility to make a few extra dollars on a job. Now, having said that if they weren’t a good quality piece I wouldn’t sell them. But in my limited experience with them they have been good. That’s why I asked the question.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
i cant speak for ppe but profab's customer service is one of the best in the business, and that's half the purchase imo

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I'm glad to see something, positive or negative on the Rudy's. I wouldbt have run them anyways but always good to know what to avoid