roll cages

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
So what are the rules for roll cages? I plan on being quicker than 11.49 and still daily drive the truck. I want to keep me interior intact. Just trying to figure out if there is a good way to put a cage in if I need one.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
What does a rollbar have to consist of? A hoop or two in the cab tied together or a 6-8pt type? I am hoping to be between 65-6700lbs and around 1000hp. It will obviously take time to get dialed. I am trying to keep it street friendly and don't want to get carried away any more than I already have.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
I am putting an ats billet flywheel flexplate in with the motor build. I wasn't planning on a balancer. I figured with a balanced rotating assembly I shouldn't need a different one. If I touch the 10's and get introuble for not having one I will put it in.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I am putting an ats billet flywheel flexplate in with the motor build. I wasn't planning on a balancer. I figured with a balanced rotating assembly I shouldn't need a different one. If I touch the 10's and get introuble for not having one I will put it in.

Stock balancer is not sfi rated, has nothing to do with your motor being balanced

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I guess you have to decide what exactly your goals are. The faster you go, the less street friendly it becomes, and the more stuff you have to put on it to be legal. Here is a picture of White Out's roll bar. It's a EC and still uses the stock seats in the front. I still have the stock seat belts along with the race harness. My side bars are removable. The back seat is gone, would have to be modified if I'd put it back in which I don't plan on. Building a wooden bench, with a carpet cover that can be quickly removed with storage underneath. I built this to be a 10 sec daily driver. No way in hell you can drive it on the street with that tune, but click of the dial and it's there. Haven't broken into the 10's yet, but I know it will do it. Matter of pulling the tranny and fixing the problem that is causing the TC to lock even at idle. No time, trying to get ready for TC with Max'd Out.

Attachments

• 0419101142a.jpg
    0419101142a.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 59

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
What do you use to make the side bars removable? I understand I need to make sacrifices. I am ok with that. I am just trying to keep it as street friendly as possible. I don't want to cage it but I want to run it at the strip so it needs to be done. I will probably have my brother's coworker build the cage. He builds drag car chassis to fund his top alcohol dragster. I am looking for ideas so I can show him what needs to be done. I want to keep back seats so I was thinking maybe putting in some race style buckets in the back and taking out the bench. I want to have the side bars removable so I can just put them in at the track. I will check into a balancer. I have already spent over my intended budget so alittle more wont hurt.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Swing outs

and as kat said you only need a bar

There are a few pics of roll bard on the sight and kat posted u a link didn't she?

I agree with ken as far as no way you drive around a 1000 hp truck I
had a maybe 700 and you either be light on the peddle or run around in 4x4 or be smart and detune

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
definetly detune just that much easier on components. I don't run the strip that often, but I plan to do it more. I would like to have the bars removable if I needed side bars. I just want to be able to use the truck. I don't want to have issues if I try and go race it. I would just like to do it right and not have to worry. I won't fit any of the pulling classes around here anymore so I plan to do more racing. Where could I get the specs on what I need to build? Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I was planning on keeping my back seat. Just having it cut were the bars slip thru when you raise and lower the seat. Have to keep the baby seat in there lol. Most cage companys sell swing out kits to make the bars swing when your not racing you can remove them and leave them home.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
My side bars are pinned and come out when you are not racing. If you look close you can see the pin connection at the top. It's a crappy picture, I'll get some good ones. All you can see is the top and the pin is not in it.

Last edited:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
There are a few more items if you faster than 11.00 also

Sfi fly wheel just to keep in mind
10.99 to 10.0
SFI 1.1 Replacement Flywheels and Clutch Assemblies
SFI 1.2 Multiple Disc Clutch Assemblies

don't need a SFI flexplate/flywheel in an automatic till 9.99.
SFI 29.3 Automatic Transmission Flexplates for Diesel Applications

Last edited: