Rod dimensions

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I have a CNC buddy who is itching to make me a set of rods for my motor after seeing the prices that are out there. He can computer model the stocker and modify it. I have a stocker to give him and would like to know where we can and can't add beef. I know there isn't alot of wiggle room in the DMax block so if anyone can show me where to beef the rods without hitting anything, that would be apreciated. Also, I'm assuming there is probably a target weight. How much more/less weight are the aftermarket rods coming in at?

Any information anyone wants to share would be great.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
is friend willing to make two sets? :D

I seem to recall Pat might have the drawings of the stockers and I'd say Guy would be as good a person as anyone to ask this question to beings he had to find/know where extra room was to develop the stroker kit. ;)

C-ya

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
is friend willing to make two sets? :D

I seem to recall Pat might have the drawings of the stockers and I'd say Guy would be as good a person as anyone to ask this question to beings he had to find/know where extra room was to develop the stroker kit. ;)

C-ya

I assume he might (if the set he makes me doesn't blow up :(). He is not trying to get rich off these. I could get an aftermarket rod and have him copy it, but I don't want to do that (seems like stealing). I will talk to Guy and others and get their input. I know they put a lot of thought, time, and money into development of their products so I won't expect them to give up their information for nothing.

I don't mind doing a little research and put a little sweat equity into these, but I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel either. Design, material, weight, balance, etc. are all going to be issues. I'm sure my guy is a great machinist, but I am willing to bet he has zero knowledge of rod design which is going to make it tough.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would say build them pretty much just like the stock LBZ rods, except with better material.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Anyone know what the stock LBZ rods are made of?

Also, I know Mahle was the piston supplier of OEM LB7 and LLY pistons, but does anyone know who made the LBZ pistons and if they are still the ones producing the LMM's?

thanks.

I would say build them pretty much just like the stock LBZ rods, except with better material.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Anyone know what the stock LBZ rods are made of?

Also, I know Mahle was the piston supplier of OEM LB7 and LLY pistons, but does anyone know who made the LBZ pistons and if they are still the ones producing the LMM's?

thanks.
IIRC, the stock rods are made of cast powdered metal and fracture split caps.

I haven't heard who makes the LBZ or LMMpistons.