Rocker panel chips galore with knobby AT tires

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good day!

Alright I just want to know how the heck do you guys keep your trucks from looking like polk a dot toys after driving down gravel roads with knobby tires. I got myself some General Tire Grabber AT2's and let me tell you these throw rocks like no tomorrow... After a short drive in gravel you have like 40 rocks jammed in the threads which at high speed back on ashphalt you can only imagine the rest... So now my brand new repainted rockers well have about 20 chips on each side... And I am talking big chips the size of a dime. Okay it's under the truck and I will be touching them up but what the hell! I took the time to make myself some nice wide mud flaps out of semi flaps which extend out the side of the truck about an inch and are 6" from touching the road. Not much else to do but bed line the rockers and the whole lower side of the truck under the belt trim for that matter. I just don't get it... Maybe it's my crappy aftermarket paint not holding up like factory paint but that still sucks!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Sounds like it was a bad paint job if they are the size of a dime. What kind of mud flaps did you use hard plastic, soft plastic, or rubber? Anything other then hard plastic will blow up at high speeds. Even the hard plastic ones with SS trim will blow up a little. That 3m clear film will only last so long. So even it will need to be replaced.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I feel your pain. I ended up rino lining the rockers on my truck... Raptor liner by U-pol is a do it yourself type stuff that can be color matched to your paint. Renodmax (Jordan) has used it a bunch and said its really good stuff, easy to apply.

I will be using it to cover the black that the body shop did. It was supposed to be Arrival Blue. You can bet I was pissed when i pulled up to pick up my truck:mad:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
:yup:
Mine is the same way and gonna get rockguarded eventually. And I run mudflaps-I can only imagine how much worse it would be without!!

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
:yup:
Mine is the same way and gonna get rockguarded eventually. And I run mudflaps-I can only imagine how much worse it would be without!!

It can get pretty bad without flaps. I have never run flaps and my rockers, doors, door handles and mirrors are pretty beat up. Flaps are going on this summer.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
mine is beat to chet. it looks good from far but far from good. luckily the truck is so long you have to be far away to see the whole thing :D.

when i get her repainted, ill be putting 3m clear wrap on all the rockers, the hood, and part of my front fenders

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Burn Down Raptor liner by UPol color matched sounds like a good idea! I will try to have a look at Renodmax posts. Lots of work so I may just touch up for the time being until I find the time to strip it down and shoot it. My rockers already have some rubberrized "rockguard" on them which was recommended by my painter. It really sucks! I would never do that again. Now I have to remove that crap so I can do anything else.

I have no doubt that I got a crappy paint job. My truck looks good from far but far from great from a close eye. I get lots of comments on how my truck looks brand new tho and it's a 2002. I am very anal about this stuff.