Replacing steering gear and pitman arm should I also install new idler arm and pivot

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good day all

As the title said I have ordered a new steering gear and waiting to receive it in order to determine if I need a 3 or 4 spline pitman arm. Now I would like to know if I should just go ahead and replace the idler arm and idler arm pivot at the same time.

Should I get the truck aligned afterwards? Since I am not touching the tie rod ends I am not quite sure if this will affect the alignment any.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
It shouldn't effect your alignment but it would be a good idea to realign. Try your gm dealer, mine will align any vehicle for $35. I would also replace at least the idler arm.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
i would go ahead and do the idler also..thats the easy part of that job. a new alignment probably isnt necessary as long as you make sure to spline the pitman arm onto the shaft in the exact same spot but it probably wouldnt hurt either.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Much easier to replace as a set, and if you get a new moog one, you can get the remote grease fitting for it. Makes it much easier to get to.

standy

Jun 22, 2009
Royal Oak, Mi.
I would replace it. If I remember correctly, the parts all superseded to the 4 groove set up. I was told that you must have matching parts, because they changed the design. Meaning that a 4 groove pitman arm won't work properly with a 3 groove idler.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Haha last alignment cost me a whole 200$ because I have played with my torsion keys and it took the alignment guy a whooping extra 30 minutes to get it dialed in. Frustrating. I will try to save me the extra dough but I guess if I have to I will.

I checked the new gear I got has 3 grooves so I got a 3 groove pitman arm and idler arm and support arm. The whole thing I guess... Truck has 200,000kms on it so if I am replacing one thing I may as well replace the other at this point.