LLY: Replacing All 8 Injectors At Once ( Already Started, Need Some Tips)

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
ba098e325fbe466bf919a3580879c07a.jpg

ain't working for me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I agree with Phil, it won't smoke like that at idle with a blown boot. Looks like a bad injector to me... I only use Bosch Remans from trusted dealers, such as LDS or Exergy etc.

Do you have a way to shut them off one at a time while it's idling? That or un-plug them one at time. You could also pull the glow plugs and see which one is over fueling that way.

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
Sigh this is ridicules. . Its way too much money and too much labor to have problems right out of the gate. I don't have a way to shut them off and already buttoned the motor back up, so getting to the electrical plugs would be a pain again.

Whats the process with pulling the glow plugs? Do you do it while running or off? After I pull it out, I can tell if its over fueling how? diesel on the tip?

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I agree with Phil, it won't smoke like that at idle with a blown boot. Looks like a bad injector to me... I only use Bosch Remans from trusted dealers, such as LDS or Exergy etc.

Do you have a way to shut them off one at a time while it's idling? That or un-plug them one at time. You could also pull the glow plugs and see which one is over fueling that way.
Unplugging them won't work, he has an lly. Will just shut off a whole bank and throw codes.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Sigh this is ridicules. . Its way too much money and too much labor to have problems right out of the gate. I don't have a way to shut them off and already buttoned the motor back up, so getting to the electrical plugs would be a pain again.

Whats the process with pulling the glow plugs? Do you do it while running or off? After I pull it out, I can tell if its over fueling how? diesel on the tip?
Shut it off, pull the glow plugs out and look for fuel spraying when cranking it.

Really checking balance rates would be your first step.

That thing is really smoking bad.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Unplugging them won't work, he has an lly. Will just shut off a whole bank and throw codes.

Maybe your right... Guess he is pulling glow plugs.

Coke, you pull all the glow plugs and see which one is spitting and excessive amount of fuel out of that cylinder while cranking the engine over.

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
I don't have time to mess with it this morning, maybe after we celebrate mothers day. I did see last night someone mention if you smell gas in the oil you put some on a white paper towel and if it makes a halo there is gas in it.

Now I'm pretty sure it would have had some in it from the injectors leaking before I replaced them. I changed the oil and filter and fuel filter right before I replaced the injectors but I did drive it twice with the oil change and fuel filter on the old injectors.

I can't really smell anything on the stick but this is what I got on the paper towel.

But even if there was some diesel in the oil, it wouldn't cause this if the current injectors wasn't leaking?

Blah I wish I had some time to diag it today.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Actually, considering what you've posted so far I figured it was possible. Most of you newbies dont know shit from shinola when it comes to these engines, let alone the terminology.

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
Actually, considering what you've posted so far I figured it was possible. Most of you newbies dont know shit from shinola when it comes to these engines, let alone the terminology.

Easy to talk down to someone when you have posted nothing insightful. You have no value inside this topic so please move on to the next.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
boost leak won't make it smoke at idle.

how does it sound?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mine always hazed decent but I swore it smoked a little more than usual when I ripped a cold side boot, it wasn't a steady black cloud but, that was the only leak I've ever had besides up pipes and egt probes blowing out.

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
Well a little of an update..

I bought a new air filter and cleaned the MAF. I had a small fuel leak at the rail to one of the injectors only at higher rpm, fixed that and I think I had the electric reversed on # 2 and #4 so after swapping them I have little to no smoke at idle now. But when I took it down the road, it still hasn't gotten its power back.

Today I charged the system with air and no audible boost leaks were found, I decided to ice pick all the injectors even though I don't have any codes. also using dialectic grease when reinstalling. Ive got the driver side done, now im on the passenger side. After doing this and triple checking the ficm harness, I may give up and put it for sale.:(

Last edited: