REMOVAL OF THE CRANK GEAR(FOR CAM) lb7

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Well, it was raining this morning, so i had a little time to remove the crank out of the engine block to take it to the machinist for keying. i took off the 1st gear off the crank; and it came off fairly easy, and the second one will not come off with a gear puller even with a little heat, what a biotch! i ended taking it to him with the gear on it. any tips on how to get it off?

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I would heat the gear to almost red hot evenly around the crank. Try to keep the heat away from the crank as it may cause damage.

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Do not go cherry red! you will ruin the gear. It is case hardened.

The gear is a fair chunk of metal. You will have to keep applying heat for a while to get it's attention. With the gear puller already in place, move the torch around the gear as much as possible. Check to see if the gear is ready to move frequently with the puller. If/when a drop of engine oil boils when dripped on the gear, you are as hot as you want to get and still not ruin the gear.

Shielding the crank from heat with a piece of tin or a welding blanket helps as does wet exhaust wrap.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Do not go cherry red! you will ruin the gear. It is case hardened.

The gear is a fair chunk of metal. You will have to keep applying heat for a while to get it's attention. With the gear puller already in place, move the torch around the gear as much as possible. Check to see if the gear is ready to move frequently with the puller. If/when a drop of engine oil boils when dripped on the gear, you are as hot as you want to get and still not ruin the gear.

Shielding the crank from heat with a piece of tin or a welding blanket helps as does wet exhaust wrap.

thank you, will do!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I left mine alone.If that sucker moves something else is very wrong.and if I did remove it I would replace it with a new one.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
With a high profile cam, I removed mine and keyed it to remove all doubt. Even so, I have seen bent crank key pins on both the cam and the crank. At least key the oil pump gear.