Remote start problem

[email protected]

Dec 3, 2011
Jefferson, Ny
I had remote start installed in my truck worked great when they put it in i guess be cause it was warm in there shop and the truck was still warm. well i drive back home 2 hours away and now when its cold out it will start right up like it should then shut off after 10 sec then start back up and do this a few time then just stop doing anything the system thats in it is cool start rs-4 anyone anything about them or am i driving 2 hours away to leave it over night so they can see whats going on with it? also if the truck is warm it fires right up and will stay running this only happen if the motor is cool. i have tryed turning of the high idle to see if that helps but it doesnt thanks

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
My truck is having similar problems. It has something to do with the "pathlock" from what i have been told. The resitances may be a little off, and the factory security and aftermarket security dont agree with each other.

Open your driver door, hit unlock, turn the key to on and let it sit ten minutes. Leave the door open the entire time your key is on. Then turn your key off, hit unlock, and let sit ten more minutes. Leave the door open again.
This solved my problems, its what the people who installed my autostart told me to do.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Did you have a viper installed or one of the Direceted electronic ones??? Mine did the same thing when he installed it. They did what is called VIRTUAL TACH. If you read the directions for the install, it does not recommend using the virtual tach on diesels.

Once you hook up the tach wire it will work fine. Also pull the instrument cluster and its the top left blue wire 2nd from the end is the wait to start light. Most of the installers just put a 12 second delay on the start. That's way too long as the glow plugs can drain the battery down in that 12 seconds if they are weak.

Let me know if you need the instructions for the viper I have a 5902 and a 5904. Also if you go to www.xpresskit.com you can find the instructions for the directed install kits.

My truck would try to start itself until it registered low battery and then it would stop. If I started it and let it run for 30 seconds, it would autostart just fine for the next 4 - 5 hrs then start doing what you described. Once the tach wire was hooked up, it works like a charm.

You may also want to turn off the dome light, set the alarm, wait 45 seconds for it to arm completely, then unlock and open the drivers door manually. If the alarm does not go off, then he hooked to the dome light wire and that also needs to be corrected.

My installer probably hates me, but he did both of my dmaxes and he fixed all of the things that I had issues with. Don't think he will ever put one in like he did my first install. A couple of cheap diodes and 5 extra tap connectors make a world of difference. Only adds 5 minutes to the install, but there is no way for the alarm to not work the way it was designed.

BlackBeast2500HD

Oct 26, 2012
Hey guys... Just installed a viper 5904 (alarm / remote start) on Thursday.. everything seemed to be working great, except for a 12 second delay with the remote start, but recently (saturday, and sunday) the "door open" will be activated, when all doors are closed. As you can imagine this is a PIA because first time it happened i actually thought somebody was trying to mess with the truck, so I ran out and nothing. Any tips on whats wrong with both remote start delay and or door open malfunction?
Also today just noticed remote start works, then turn off after 20 - 30 seconds.. then starts up again.... whats going on?
Thanks,
BB2500HD

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
You need to take the truck back to the installer. He must use the Tach wire for signal to tell the viper its running. Gassers have enough electrical "noise" for the Viper to determine it is running. Had same issue. Also to kill the 12 sec delay, have the wait to start wire hooked up.