Question: Relocating Fuel tank?

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
I am 4 Linking my truck fron and rear and nearly finished with the front and will be moving to the rear soon. I plan to run straight bars for bottom links and triangulated uppers wide at the fram and close together at the axle. My question is has anyone used an after market/ stock fuel tank from some other application to place the tank where the spare tire would normally be. Like maybe an Avalanche tank or Suburban? If anybody has some pics of what they did or info on how they did this please post up :) Here is the link to my build to give you all the specifics on the truck I am working with.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28571

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Do you race?

I did it it's pretty straight forward:). I made a tank out of alluminum and used a auto meter fuel level sensor and ties into the factory fuel gauge and then just recalibrated it for the smaller tank

Summit sells some cheap tanks

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
I don't do any racing except maybe once a year go to the local strip to have some fun and have people laugh at my oversized truck running the quarter. Yea I was also looking at pre made tanks like Summit sells. Wasn't sure how I would re use the stock sending unit and how exactly to route the fill tube. I was hoping to to reuse the stock fuel door in the factory position on the bed. Were you able to use the stock fuel door location? Do you have any problems with the tank filling slow or backing up? Did you put a skid plate under the tank to keep it from getting damaged incase you were offroad? Sorry for all the questions but I have never relocated a fuel tank and want to make sure its safe and correct!

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
OH WOW! Those tanks look amazing. I could tell him exactly what I need. Hmm I will have to give him a call. Thanks for the good info 05smoker and sweetdiesel! I would really like to stay in the 24-30ish gallon area so that I dont have to fill up every hour lol.