Recommendations for a 235/85R16

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Finally getting around to buying some new tires and would like to hear some feedback (good or bad) on what you guys have been running for an A/T tire. I have been looking at Goodyears, Michelins and Firestones A/T's. Most of my driving is highway, with snow being a requirement for winter. I could almost swing a highway type tire, but I'm not sure it will do so hot in the dirt / mud. My rig doesn't go 4 wheeling, but does see the occassional dirt.

One of the treads that didn't look so bad was the Wrangle Duratrac's. But there were several reviews of poor wear. I'm not trying to get 80k out of a set of tires, but would hope that they could go more than 30-40k.

Thanks for your help,

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
For a tire that sees a lot of highway miles I'm pretty happy with my Firestone Transforce AT's. They do well in the snow, Ride quietly, and are Very stable towing compared to a tire with an open shoulder.

They aren't mud tires though. I've never taken mine in very much mud. If I need to go through mud I use my LLY that has mud tires on it. I see a lot of work trucks running them.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Michelin XPS Traction. 235/85r16. We have them on most of our ranch trucks and you can't beat them IMO. They're all steel and for being that they're not rough at all. We've gotten 35k on them and 75% of those miles on dirt. :thumb:

Savagebeast

Sled puller
Jan 21, 2014
NE ohio
I have 235/85/16 Bfg a/t ko on my dually and they handle great on the highway and have good traction in dirt but didn't last very long only 25,000 miles but I've been known to do a few burnouts with them. I'm gonna try the general grabber a/t 2 this year they're a little cheaper and I hear they last longer. Both of these tires are also snow rated. The Duratracs have good traction but are more expensive then others and where really fast because they're a softer compound. The firestone transforce a/t is a good tire I have them on my one ton work van. They handle good, ride nice, are good in the snow and last a long time.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Cooper had AT in 255/80(?)r16 same size tire just a little wider

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

plazmamunky

Just A Few Months AWAY
Mar 31, 2013
Wichita, KS McConnell AFB
Cooper Discoverer A/T 3. Handle well great with snow, highway noise isnt out of the norm, and they look pretty aggressive but wear pretty well. 173/Tire on Rimzoneonline.com for the size your looking at.

Pokey

Aug 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have tried several brands over the years on my dually, and have settled on Michelin at the tire that is hard to beat. I do get into some dirt, but mostly run over the road. Price is higher, but they last longer then any other brand. Also they are by far the quietest tire on the road for truck use. I usually get 130K on my set before they are down to the wear bars. Hope this helps.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
bf goodrich commercial ta, hands down, shows over. I would take these over michelin any day of the week and I am a sucker for michelin tires.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
duratracs, great in snow, rain and dry conditions. We run them on F350, F450 and Sierra 2500's.