Rebuilding CV axles?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I seem to remember a brief discussion on CV axles on here but can’t seem to find it. I tore a boot and lost quite a bit of grease out of my outer CV joint. As I recall the original CV axles are the best for strength. I opted just to replace the axle due to time and the fact that my work truck doesn’t see as much abuse as my diesel then I would have a spare for it.

I tore apart the joint and everything seems to be good and tight other than a little bit to play in the race. Not sure if that’s normal or if it needs to be replaced. Anyone know where I can get a new race if I need one? Also where can I get a good quality boot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
A brand new one is $70 for the entire axle. I’ve yet to break one in any of our trucks. However under 700whp

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I had my block heater cord fall down and slice my boot in half. Swapped a CV off a spare truck, but I ended up getting the Napa CV boot kit for $20 and rebuilding mine. There was not much if any play in mine (at least not enough I remember having any play). The Napa boot seems high quality, but I won't know for sure until I actually run it, but for now that CV is just a spare on a shelf.

One thing to note is when you go to crimp the boot on, you don't want to push all the air out, or the boot will collapse when you pull the CV back to stock length. I ended up taking too much air out, which probably will shorten boot life, since it sucks in instead of being a nice accordion shape.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Good tip about the air. You don’t happen have a part number do ya? I believe I called Napa and they said they didn’t have any. I’d have to buy the whole Axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I hade the same problem with no auto shops in my area, napa, AutoZone, O Riley, etc not carrying any boots. Best I could get from them was a two piece universal. That wasn't going to fly.

Ended up purchasing one on eBay. Seemed like it was good quality. No leaks yet

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mine are splitting again, right at the vulcanized seam. bought them from napa years ago when the original ones started tearing. Somewhere on here, it was posted where to get the factory ones, they were not cheap though

scramHD

Aug 24, 2008
Tx / MS / AL / MEX / FL
I just rep;aced boots on both sides on mine. Easy job just time consuming cleaning all the parts and bolts. I purchased factory boots from a local GMC dealer. 16 each for outer/23 each inner. I purchased Dorman units two weeks before, paid twice as much and they lasted 4 days. I also drove several thousand miles with little grease having ripped boots on both sides....Also replaced abs sensors eliminating the ABS/Stabilitrac MILs and thoroughly cleaned front pads and removed uneven spots/smoothed rotor surfaces. Let me know I can grab a set and ship them to you. They come with grease and stainless crimp rings. So far so good been on about a week....the factory boots.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I replaced mine a couple hears ago with Empi boots. I believe they are OEM for german cars and I know they were the go to for VW dune buggies. Empi 79463NG for the outer and 72291VM for the inner.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Thanks for the info. I just tossed the axle in the trash today. Tired of seeing it sitting on the work bench and sold my old my old work truck that it would have fit on. Still have my diesel, but I don't really need more parts sitting around for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk