LLY: Reborn

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Figured I'd post up about the new engine im building since a lot of people have given me advice on what to use and what to do over the past few months. Big thanks to Shane Phinney, really opened my eyes on how cam selection can be crucial, as well as turbo choice. Never gave it much thought before.

Newly's old truck was a LB7, I am converting it to a LLY, removed the LB7 harness both engine and truck side and rewired the truck using the LLY donor harness. Pretty simple when the engine is out. Also swapped my trans NBSU with a LLY unit from the LB7. Picked up a LLY ecm for 150$.

As some of you know I had the crank checked in my last LB7 single cab after Famoso races back in March, Crank was found to be cracked. #2 main proved this as it had a nice odd wear mark in the dead center of the bearing.

This new engine I don't plan to cut corners like I did my first motor. I wanted to see how well a basic budget engine did and with sub 6000lb truck, I had no ill feelings. It worked for me and owed it nothing.

.040 over LBZ block
new LML crank keyed
Arias 15:1 w/ .100 reliefs
Re-using my Carrillo's
Empire stage 3 cam alter fire keyed
Industrial Girdle and main studs
Reusing water pump
Reusing Melling oil pump

Heads are Wagler?Brodix stock casting with my Hamilton valve springs
Reusing my ARP head studs
Injectors have been done and are 250%

Now the crazy part. I want to see where a single 12mm stroker cp3 will put the truck. Im not against twin cp3's one bit, but with race weight shooting for 5500lbs, I want to believe a single 12mm stroker can put a duramax in the 9's, but who knows.

Went back and forth on turbos for a few months and have decided on triples.
a pair of S369SXE's and a billet S480. This should match the current converter I will be testing for Mike from Goerend, so I didn't want to go too small and skew my thoughts on how well the converter will drive. Plus, it will be more air than needed for what I want so hopefully the bottle won't be needed :D:eek: I drove my last truck more than I thought and with a big single all its life, it was not ideal smoke wise.

This is round #2 for me and I feel like im slowly getting the hang of it :roflmao::roflmao:

Thanks for all your help so far guys!

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Good to hear you finally made up your mind on the turblowers bri bri!! I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing how the truck turns out and how plans will change as you keep building :woott:

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
So did I miss what happened with your RCLB (the truck itself)? I see people (you and James) talking about your "old regular cab" and your sig says ECSB now.

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
So did I miss what happened with your RCLB (the truck itself)? I see people (you and James) talking about your "old regular cab" and your sig says ECSB now.

He is trying to go slower being we all know regular cabs are the fastest.:rofl:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Build sounds solid Brian but do you really think a single 12mm pump can handle 250's? I'm not bashing your decision, I'm just as curious I guess. Let er rip dude:thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Newly and I traded trucks. He wanted mine and I wanted his.
Build sounds solid Brian but do you really think a single 12mm pump can handle 250's? I'm not bashing your decision, I'm just as curious I guess. Let er rip dude:thumb:
At 3000 pulse no I won't hold it buy I do believe half that pulse will run pretty good. I'm going to try and shoot for 5500 lb race weight, at that weight i need about 1200 horse to go 140mph. I "believe" stroker pump can support that. If I can keep the weight down it will be less, I have thought of a 48RE, but don't want to go that route just yet.

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
The bed cage will be chromoly tubing to hold the bed skins up. The bed floor of a short bed is right at 200 lbs. So I figure a 150 lb drop in dead weight. My single cab had full bed still. Imho that will make up the difference from extended cab short bed to a single cab long bed.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Newly and I traded trucks. He wanted mine and I wanted his.

At 3000 pulse no I won't hold it buy I do believe half that pulse will run pretty good. I'm going to try and shoot for 5500 lb race weight, at that weight i need about 1200 horse to go 140mph. I "believe" stroker pump can support that.

Didn't mark make 1170 with 250s and a 12mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I believe he did, but I don't care about dyno numbers as they can be easily skewed. I've always gone off of track numbers.