Rearend Oil?

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I Just put a Grizzly locker, Yukon ring and pinion, and Yukon chromoly axles in my truck. What is suppose to go back in it for oil? I think I had a sheet from Yukon that said but I must have lost it. Also do I need any additive since I have a locker now?

Thanks
Mike

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Not positive, But I do not believe you are suppose to add any additives. Subscribing to this thread though since I have a Grizzly rear locker sitting on the shelf:) I planned on just putting back the recomended Gear oil viscosity for the rear. I forget the weight but it says in you owners manual, its synthetic, IIRC:confused:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I was looking at them the other day, and looking back now.

The tech guide only says this. so my assumption would be none is required.

Oil
When filling the axle with oil, use a high quality name brand and fill the unit to the manufacturer’s
recommended capacity. Synthetic oil is recomended for most applications.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
75w-90 Synthetic. Rear takes about 4 quarts front takes 2 and if you have a lift front should take 3-3.5.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Yeah I don't know i was under the impression that you were suppose to use additive for a limited slip, but not a locker???

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I don't know i was under the impression that you were suppose to use additive for a limited slip, but not a locker???

Seems like the additives are nothing but trouble either way. I haven't ran additive in my stock rearend for 130k and its still kicking. And my friends with racecars and wheeling machines never use it either. But you may still want to ask around, maybe someone like Rob or Ken who had Yukon stuff in high hp trucks. They would know much better than myself.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Additive???:confused: Do you mean friction modifier?

If so, no, a locker doesnt need it. Only limited slip.

Its all called additives. Anything you add to a base fluid atf, coolant, oil etc is called additive. If you look at all products they're called friction modifier additives. Is that what you mean :confused: No need to attempt in getting semantic.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Its all called additives. Anything you add to a base fluid atf, coolant, oil etc is called additive. If you look at all products they're called friction modifier additives. Is that what you mean :confused: No need to attempt in getting semantic.
:rolleyes:
Were talking about read diff fluid and the only thing you would add is a friction modifier, nothing else. When he said additive I was thinking he meant some sort of additive like we'd use in oil (IE: lucas, slick 50 or some type of stabilizer). I guess your right, adding to something is an additive...How ever theres nothing you should be adding unless its a friction modifier to the rear end. Im not getting semantic, Im just being correct with tech support. In a non clutch locker you would not add friction modifier, nor would you add anyhting else (but correct oil)....If you dont like me giving correct support, start a forum and call it RenosPlace and Ill post incorrect data over there for ya. :D

To the OP, no FRICTION MODIFIER to your locking diff....or any oil additives.

EDIT: and BTW, some limited slip rear ends need FM, whether your friends tell you they like them or not is irrelevant.

Last edited:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
:rolleyes:
Were talking about read diff fluid and the only thing you would add is a friction modifier, nothing else. When he said additive I was thinking he meant some sort of additive like we'd use in oil (IE: lucas, slick 50 or some type of stabilizer). I guess your right, adding to something is an additive...How ever theres nothing you should be adding unless its a friction modifier to the rear end. Im not getting semantic, Im just being correct with tech support. In a non clutch locker you would not add friction modifier, nor would you add anyhting else (but correct oil)....If you dont like me giving correct support, start a forum and call it RenosPlace and Ill post incorrect data over there for ya. :D

To the OP, no FRICTION MODIFIER to your locking diff....or any oil additives.

EDIT: and BTW, some limited slip rear ends need FM, whether your friends tell you they like them or not is irrelevant.
This is why this place is becoming like all the others. Like I said to the OP ask someone who's used a yukon locker in a high hp truck. That'd be your best bet.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
This is why this place is becoming like all the others. Like I said to the OP ask someone who's used a yukon locker in a high hp truck. That'd be your best bet.

Ok...Or he can ask the forum since thats what its for and people that know about these things can chime in rather than tell him to ask someone else....Thanks for your contribution on the subject, like he didnt already know he needed to ask someone...Just because I dont have a truck with the power that makes me a god on Renodmaxs list, doesnt mean I cant come on here and provide info on any subjects.

also I dont understand how my info provided doenst help the OP out? Your mad because I actually used the correct term (Friction Modifier) in my post or what..Whats up with you man?

But anyway, I replied to the OP some useful info and dropping it, Im done arguing with you Jordan. Good luck bud. :thumb: