Rear end question

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
I have noticed that my truck will light up both rear tires in a strait line but to try and kick out the rear of the truck from a stop is not working. It turns into a one wheel wonder. Is there an issue with the limited slip not being able to handle 600rwhp? Do I need to change to a different unit? Thank's

Phil

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
How long has it been since you changed the gear oil in it? When you did, did you add any limited slip additive to it?

There's no question that the G80 kinda sucks, but it gets worse the more miles you have on the fluid.

Last edited:

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
I got the truck in January of this year and I have never changed it. The truck has 62,000 on it right now.

Phil

rushingbc

< I drive slow trucks
Sep 3, 2006
Beaufort, SC
I'ld change it with some synthetic fluid, and add LSD additive. I think I used Mobile 1. It made night and day difference for me. Hope it's that easy for ya.

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
LSD additive may make the vehicle see all sorts of things. If you take some you may see the road melt.... lol.

Seriously, limited slip additive may help, but you should not try to spin the tires hard when the vehicle is on a bind, such as turning as it will excessively load 1 wheel & stress the differential. These rears are not noted for their locking capability & can break in a bad way from this.

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
I went to the local parts store today and asked for some LSD additive and the guy took me in the back room and asked me how much I had to spend.:eek: Is there another unit I could install to achive the results I am looking for or am I asking for trouble by making the rearend lock up tight? I don't need to snap off an axle. Thank's

Phil

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I went to the local parts store today and asked for some LSD additive and the guy took me in the back room and asked me how much I had to spend.:eek: Is there another unit I could install to achive the results I am looking for or am I asking for trouble by making the rearend lock up tight? I don't need to snap off an axle. Thank's

Phil

You got one real choice right now, a helical gear type by Eaton. It's around 550 bucks, ARB has said they are coming out with a rear locker for about a year now, ain't seen it yet, prolly never will if you ask me.

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
I guess my other choice is to weld them up and let them fly. I will check into the Eaton. Thank's

Phil

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
When we blew up the G80 in the lb7, we switched it over to the dodge torsen. I really do not know if its any better or not though. It stays locked up better then the G80 in my LLY now but its brand new so it should. Randy' ring and pinion sells bolth.

ceb0217

Aug 9, 2008
corvallis oregon
does the dodge unit bolt in or are there mods that need done just wondering cuse i work at an automovitive recycling facility (wrecking yard) and we get a few broken rear ends in every month :D