Reading DSP-5 and de-tuning??

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Well I am only a couple weeks (hopefully) to shooting some juice to my LMM re-powered Humvee, the original ECM had DSP-5 or at least a switch, I did not have EFI-live when I test fired the wrecked truck, I have some questions.

1, I understand (I could be wrong) that the ECM could be password protected, if so is there a way around this? will I have to commit a license to even try?

2, Can I see the DSP-5 "tunes" with EFI-live? ( I have no idea what was "used" on the donor truck)

3, I am replacing a 160HP 6.2L with a 6.6 with DSP-5, I have made some compromises along the way as far as cooling and intercooling I am actually thinking I should limit the beast to around 250-275HP or less, at least until I can get some actual on road experience/data, ( I may actually be VERY happy with 275-300HP) how difficult would this be?? (and yes I do see the irony of going where everyone is trying to max out the 6.6L and asking such a "stupid" question LOL!)

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So if the ECM has a locked tune, you cant see the actual tune in it but you can flash over it with a stock tune or upgraded tune if you want without issue.

EDIT: Per tony, i am incorrect and see his post farther down. He knows vastly more on this subject. if the tune is unlocked, you can see the tunes in there by reading out the tune with EFI Live. if it is locked, you wont be able to see anything unless you drive it and log it to get an idea of how hot each tune is. thats about as close as you can get on a locked one

i would look for a 07.5-10 kodiak stock tune and flash it in. it will be limited to the HP you are looking for and probably be more suited to your rig as a base.

H1 alpha hummers used a tcm tune very similar to kodiak tunes as well where it was like you were in tow haul alot of the time. its mainly needed due to the weight of your rig. You just dont get 6th gear so running a normal truck TCM tune and keeping it in tow haul may be needed (gives you 6th gear). There might be a TCM OS for the kodiaks that give 6th gear but i dont remember. someone else will chime in on that.

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
LMM DSP5 tunes even unlocked I thought can't be read except for the base tune. I haven't tried, but I seem to recall threads about this.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
So if the ECM has a locked tune, you cant see the actual tune in it but you can flash over it with a stock tune or upgraded tune if you want without issue.

EDIT: Per tony, i am incorrect and see his post farther down. He knows vastly more on this subject. if the tune is unlocked, you can see the tunes in there by reading out the tune with EFI Live. if it is locked, you wont be able to see anything unless you drive it and log it to get an idea of how hot each tune is. thats about as close as you can get on a locked one

i would look for a 07.5-10 kodiak stock tune and flash it in. it will be limited to the HP you are looking for and probably be more suited to your rig as a base.

H1 alpha hummers used a tcm tune very similar to kodiak tunes as well where it was like you were in tow haul alot of the time. its mainly needed due to the weight of your rig. You just dont get 6th gear so running a normal truck TCM tune and keeping it in tow haul may be needed (gives you 6th gear). There might be a TCM OS for the kodiaks that give 6th gear but i dont remember. someone else will chime in on that.
THANKS!! If it is locked can I flash it over with DSP-5, if not what if anything should I do with the DSP-5 hardware/wiring?
With a 4.91:1 gear ratio and 37" tires I think I really do need 6th, not that I plan to blast down the highway at 85 like I do with my 08 3500HD/LMM

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
OK THANKS for all the input, so what I guess now the question is, should I retain DSP-5 (IE how hard/expensive is a DSP-5 "tune" to create) AGAIN as I understand one tune will be or can be a "high idle" which would be good for the hydraulic winch etc.
Considering all the mods made to the donor truck I am ASSUMING the previous owner was not concerned with engine longevity or power conservation so I doubt I want to use the donor tunes.
OR if I abandon DSP-5 what wiring changes if any are needed to remove the DSP-5 hardware (switch and wiring) to run a single tune other than just removing the DSP-5 switch and wires.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The EFILive section was their vendor forum, it was not really a general tech area. This is the right place for tuning questions.

But now you've got me wondering where they went......

Reactions: Mogman

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
EFI Live asked to be pulled down this year. They have been a long time supporter of this site but they are not advertising to the end user anymore.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Also I am wondering if I should replace the ECM before investing $125 in a license, it is hard to see but there are some fairly deep dents in the donor ECM from the accident, it seemed to run and function fine when it was test run. And if I replace the ECM with a used one what other than loading a tune and doing all the deletes will I have to do?? I obviously do not care about the actual VIN as it will have nothing to do with the 1992 M998 VIN which only contains 6 digits
DENTS.jpg