LB7: Rattling black smoke and skipping

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I was plowing snow last storm and my truck started to rattle and skip, sounds like a dead hole? EFI won't read the balance rates says all zero?? GM TECHII says all zero too? Took the glow plugs out one at a time and looked to see if one was soaked with fuel but they all look good? Any ideas? :confused:

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Can you a get rail pressure reading? Other engine and fuel data to verify comm?

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
someone one else was having problems reading balance rates and they were all 0. Try re-flashing to stock if you have not already.....then maybe go back to build 133 instead of 139?

Dylan

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
also try re-validating the parameters......I have had that problem before. Try that first actually....

SHOTZY

<"Whats next??"
Aug 27, 2008
melbourne, fl
Is it throwing any codes? I'm guessing its an injector wire under the valve cover. My buddies lb7 did this. Balance rates all read 0 and sounded like a tractor lol. Good luck.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
UPDATE:

I went to the shop on lunch break, EFI wouldn't let me turn injectors off one at a time??? So I grabbed the Tech 2 and fumbled my way through it and found the fuel menu I was able to turn each injector off when I got to #3 it smoothed right out, ordered an injector hopefully its the issue??

Back in the summer when I had fuel leak issues under the covers I read balance rates and 3 was off from the others, all the rest were .090 or .080, #3 was like 3.78?? So I'm hoping it just went bad over time?? I will post when it is done and running good hopefully!! I have more snow to plow!!! :rofl:

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Efi

I have seen this before and all I had to do was pull the shifter into neutral instead of park. Then the balance rates would display. Hope this helps for future.