Help: Raptor vs Kennedy Single

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
Just wondering if I can get some unbiased opinions on what would be best suited for my needs.

The raptor 100 or 150 pump or the Kennedy single pump.

I only need to support a 120+ LBZ tune from ATP.

I know that the kennedy pump uses a harness that is pretty smart and can detect oil pressure for when to run and whatnot, how does the raptor go about doing this???

If you were in my shoes which route would you go? They are almost identical pricewise. I want a pump that is going to be quiet, last a very long time, not leave me stranded if it fails, and allow me to maintain positive pressure at the CP3 under WOT.

Thanks fellas

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Raptor is like the PPE pumps, on or off. No sensors like the TTS/Kennedy pumps.

I ran TTS duals on my LBZ for 4 years, and im on 1 year so far on my LB7 with the TTS duals. They are flow through.

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
thanks guys. I saw on his site that they would support 450 rwhp. my 120 tune should be in that neighborhood. didn't know what they would actually support

that seems like a stupid idea on the raptor's part. i sit a good bit with key in on position with the radio on or something, there is no need for the lift pump to be running.

TTS are essentially kennedy pumps right??

I know the raptor has a lifetime warranty and the kennedy only has two years. i am really up in the air on what to do.

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
Thanks for all the input. Glad to hear the dmax smart guys all leaning one way. Other sites are airdog or GTFO.

where exactly do you install the harness sensor if you don't mind me asking??

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
okay good deal. i saw one guy on here who was selling his twin kit but said the harness was staying on the truck because something was under a manifold. didn't make sense, but that's what was in the post.

thanks turbotug. kennedy seems to be the way to go based on you guys opinions.

anyone else have anything good bad or ugly to say before i go this route?

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Why do you need a lift pump for a 120 tune? If you arent going to push the truck any further than the 120 tune i say its a waste to buy a lift pump spend your money elsewhere! I will prolly get bashed for that comment but oh well i ran a bunch of tuners all well over 120rwhp and never had a lift pump. If that is all the tuning you are going to do i say dont waste your money, if you want to go bigger down the road then buy a lift pump

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
I have never ran Kennedy's stuff but have only heard good things. I ran a Raptor 150 on a Cummins I had and really like the unit. Very clean install and did what it was supposed to do. I would not hesitate to run another Raptor pump if I wasn't needing more filtering so I'll be looking at Airdog personally. Good luck.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
thanks guys. I saw on his site that they would support 450 rwhp. my 120 tune should be in that neighborhood. didn't know what they would actually support

that seems like a stupid idea on the raptor's part. i sit a good bit with key in on position with the radio on or something, there is no need for the lift pump to be running.

TTS are essentially kennedy pumps right??

I know the raptor has a lifetime warranty and the kennedy only has two years. i am really up in the air on what to do.

Please don't even compare the TTS pumps to the Kennedy pumps! Been there. Done that. Expensive lesson learned! My TTS pumps didn't even last a year and Steve didn't help at all. I ended up buying a set of dual Kennedy's and for three years straight they have worked without so much as a hiccup. Even through the harsh winters with all the slush and road salt. Also whisper quiet. John gets my vote.

Nick

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Please don't even compare the TTS pumps to the Kennedy pumps! Been there. Done that. Expensive lesson learned! My TTS pumps didn't even last a year and Steve didn't help at all. I ended up buying a set of dual Kennedy's and for three years straight they have worked without so much as a hiccup. Even through the harsh winters with all the slush and road salt. Also whisper quiet. John gets my vote.

Nick

I wouldn't say that just based on YOUR own situation. My TTS pumps were 5 years old when i sold them and never missed a beat. Just because you had a bad experiencxe with one brand and not the other doesn't mean they arent just as good of pump. LOTS of people run TTS pumps and to be honest i would say there are alot more TTS pumps out there compared to Kennedys. They are both good pumps i don't believe one is better than the other...

KryPTiC

Recovering Diesel Addict
Oct 3, 2010
Flying down Alberta roads
I was doing some reading on both of these pumps, I see in the installation instructions of Kennedy's that these pumps have to be primed, they will not prime themselves, and cannot run out of fuel or they will basically self destruct... are the TTS like this as well?

This is kind of a huge design flaw I think, 500+ bucks for something that will crap out if it looses prime? what if I'm out 4x4'in and rip off a line, or out in the bush and get lost and run out of fuel trying to get back... doubt full situations to happen... but still.

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
I started out with a kenndy dual pump setup. Just use the hand primer on the truck after i installed it. After that when i changed fuel filters all i did was crack the bleeder valve, cut key on and let the pump do the rest. Never had a issue with them. They are a flow thru pump

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
I see a bunch of people are saying I shouldn't buy a lift pump in other places because the trans will never be built. However people say the throttle is more responsive, and the stress taken of the CP3 seems like it would be worth 400 bones to me. It's not doing the greatest job of holding rail pressure under WOT, but there are several factors contributing to that. I hope the lift pump can help me out there.

I am liking what I am seeing about the Kennedy unit. I have heard other places too that the TTS pumps are not the same quality, therefore I would definitely go with Kennedy over TTS. thanks for all the opinions and input.

I like the raptor and its warranty. But it seems extremely stupid that it runs whenever the key is in the on position. For the same price I think I will go with the very quiet Kennedy that only comes on to prime the fuel system, and when there is positive oil pressure.

Thanks for everything guys.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Kennedy pumps are the one of the best pumps you don't need a life time warranty with them. They only fail if you get really dirty fuel or turn them on without priming them. Even then they don't cost a ton to rebuild $100 IIRC. If you run out of fuel your not going to ruin the pump unless maybe your using ether to start your truck and don't have it primed good.

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I think some people kind of put too much into the priming issue. If you rip lines while driving, any pump will continue to pump diesel while the Kennedy wont because the truck will stall. If your in to ripping fuel line, you've got bigger problems than a priming issue on a lift pump.

Also, to the OP, the harness uses an oil pressure sensor that screws into a port on the oil filter housing. Then the module with the switch ends up on the firewall. The sensor won't kick the pump on unless there is oil pressure and the module with the switch lets you run the pump to bleed any air when you replace a filter, instead of pumping the factory primer.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I ran several types of lift pumps from MITUSA to FASS as well as the twin TTS pumps. TTS and Kennedy are very similiar, some say the Kennedy pumps are better sealed and will hold up better in the bad winter areas, I had the TTS pumps and they worked very well, are still working well on the 07 I sold, very very quiet, I ran a fuel pressure gauge to make sure they were working. My main complaint against the Raptor is the noise, the ones I've heard are noisy as hell, not sure about the new ones however.