Allison 5sp: range shift inhibited just free revs

t_ank

Apr 15, 2014
Bought my first duramax the other day and having some issues. I was driving and it just acted like it was slipping just free reved. Engine light came on and range shift inhabited it eventually went off after restarting the truck and was able to move again. Then it happened again went to the shop hooked it up came up with vvs. Havent replaced yet will do it today tho. Did it again last night seems like it happens everytime its juat started or trans is still cold.

I wonder if its electrical also been having some weird problems. But if all is good its all good no issues anywhere.

One time the keyfold lock honks n sometime it doesn't. Says right rear door adjr then both rear doors then goes away. Gear selector out and odometer went out came back on.

Trying to track it all down before work in a couple weeks

t_ank

Apr 15, 2014
Check out Good when i bought it. Its an 03.

After i think about it when i put it park of shut it off i always get a hint of trans fluid

t_ank

Apr 15, 2014
Started it let it run checked fluid barely anything to the cold after running for 25 minutes check again jist spot on the stick under the cold hatches

t_ank

Apr 15, 2014
How many quarters these thing hold. Already put two in and finally brought it up some not alot tho

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You will want to check the fluid at about 175F and keep the level in the middle of the hot grid.

t_ank

Apr 15, 2014
Checked after i drove awhile was not in the hot grid dont want to over fill it tho

t_ank

Apr 15, 2014
Was referring to if i add more to get it in the grid for hot itll be over when cold, i understand it sounds ignorant.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Was referring to if i add more to get it in the grid for hot itll be over when cold, i understand it sounds ignorant.

When is the last time the Allison spin on filter was changed? I would change that also. Then add fluid slowly until you are comfortable with the level.

I have NO clue where you feel you want it to be but as long as you are in the correct area on the stick whether it be at the bottom or mid "hot" grid you are fine. Doesn't have TO BE PERFECT ,THERE IS NO PERFECT SPOT.

JimmyMac

Sep 1, 2015
This is a bit late to reply, but I encountered the same problem. On at least two occasions I was pulling a trailer in the rain. Brought it to an Allison shop in St Lewis. The problem was diagnosed to a connector at the lower front of the transmission. The "seal" was compromised when I had someone install a banks electrical break system. Allison made a temporary repair, I went further after I got home to ensure it was sealed. Since then - no problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
The oil expands when hot and will contract when it cools. The level that is most important is the hot reading and the cold is just there as a reference during cold start. Listen to Mike for hot level because if you have too much it will could cause overheating issues while towing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Some people over complicate things.
Here is what happens guys. When the engine is off, the converter drains back fluid into the pan because of certain cavities in the pump and the valve body. Remember that the converter sits side ways, so everything above the converter hub will try and leak out into the pan. When you check your fluid cold, it will show overfull because of the drain back. This is not accurate.
Once the engine starts, the pump will pull fluid out of the sump and refill all the empty cavities and the dip stick will show the lower fluid level. Now we are starting to get accurate. After driving awhile, and the trans gets to proper operating temps, the trans is ready to check for proper fluid level.
We want to see the level no higher than half way up the hot grid. With deep pans , we want to see the level at the very bottom of the hot grid.