Rail pressure sensor

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
When you say the injectors "shut off", do you mean you saw a spike in rail pressure from the fuel having nowhere to go, or were you seeing a sudden drop in rail pressure after 28,000 psi?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
No drop in rail at all, just engine shuts down. Which, with the stock sensor years prior, we had no idea what it even was at.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
oh, the way I read your previous statement was that it was the injectors' not being able to take 28k+ psi for some reason....yea, scaling the sensor out and building in a buffer in the tune will prevent what you had too.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
No drop in rail at all, just engine shuts down. Which, with the stock sensor years prior, we had no idea what it even was at.

I ran 240 mpa for 2 years sled pulling with an LLY and never experienced what your describing. Yes I had a sensor that would read that high. I wonder what the deal is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I ran 240 mpa for 2 years sled pulling with an LLY and never experienced what your describing. Yes I had a sensor that would read that high. I wonder what the deal is?

What did you see for gains say over 180MPa? and did it actual hit and maintain that high? what did you run for CP3 pumps? and what size injectors?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What did you see for gains say over 180MPa? and did it actual hit and maintain that high? what did you run for CP3 pumps? and what size injectors?

As I increased rail pressure everything seemed to gain. Of course this was on the track not the dyno so I can't completely accurately answer your question. But up to 240 mpa I gained rpm at mid track, gained drive and boost pressure, and continued to put bigger and bigger gaps between me and 2nd place.

Back then I was just running 2 Stock CP3 pumps with old school arson kits. I can't answer the injector question because I was running something "custom" from TTS. I was told they were around 300% over Stock. But I wouldn't swear to anything.

Desired was 240 mpa when I quit increasing it, actual rail would vary from 230-240 down the track. I was running the pulse as high as I could to maintain 230+.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I would have to believe that we were running higher than 28xxx when using stock -bodied 200% injectors. Just didn't have a big enough sensor at the time

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I'll bet it has to do with the red man mod. I'll bet if they were honest with you they'd tell you why it happens. I highly doubt they aren't aware of the issue.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I'll bet it has to do with the red man mod. I'll bet if they were honest with you they'd tell you why it happens. I highly doubt they aren't aware of the issue.

I mean we're happy with the injectors. Make great power and everything. Just burnt 5-6 pulls last year figuring that issue out.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
That's still disappointing though. There's a lot of potential horsepower in rail pressure in my experience.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
It would run fine in the upper 28xxx's iirc, which is 195-197mpa. So not like it's low or anything. I'd be interested to know the cutoff​point catman. Assuming you can just make more & more. What ECM? LLY?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
It would run fine in the upper 28xxx's iirc, which is 195-197mpa. So not like it's low or anything. I'd be interested to know the cutoff​point catman. Assuming you can just make more & more. What ECM? LLY?

yes LLY and we'll soon find out.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007

So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you have logs of the ECM still fully fueling when it shuts down? You saying the something in the injector physically quits flowing fuel when the pressure goes to high right?

Your asking about what ECM catman is running just made me second guess myself.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you have logs of the ECM still fully fueling when it shuts down? You saying the something in the injector physically quits flowing fuel when the pressure goes to high right?

Yes. Only change in log when it happens is the rpm dying​ off

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.

Yes. Only change in log when it happens is the rpm dying​ off

That's why I asked about if you saw actual rail pressure drop or spike....if you didn't then I will go out on a limb and say it had nothing to do with the injector.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
That's why I asked about if you saw actual rail pressure drop or spike....if you didn't then I will go out on a limb and say it had nothing to do with the injector.

So why did it die? What's your explanation?