Race Ready 4l80e

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Yes the weight of a full size would be the limiting factor for sure, but what about a 2500-3000 lbs drag truck? do you think it would live?

Yes but you might have to keep it out of O/D which is what a lot of gas racers do. The O/D planet will sneeze under a lot of tq.
You also have to remember where a diesel makes its tq ( 2500 rpm ) as compared to gas ( 5000 rpm ).

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Mike do you think one could be made live @ 650hp 13/1400lb-ft in a 5800lb truck?

Just wandering for when the day comes that the ZF dies! i think it would be a much easier swap than putting an ally in it!!!

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
again it depends on the rpm......if we can make 5500+ you will never see 2500rpm or the TQ associated with it. unless you shift wayy early by accident.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike do you think one could be made live @ 650hp 13/1400lb-ft in a 5800lb truck?

Just wandering for when the day comes that the ZF dies! i think it would be a much easier swap than putting an ally in it!!!

No way will it hold in O/D. The big gas motors are busting them in O/D at less than 700 tq. It might work in 3rd lock up ( 1.1 ) but not O/D.( .74 )

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
No way will it hold in O/D. The big gas motors are busting them in O/D at less than 700 tq. It might work in 3rd lock up ( 1.1 ) but not O/D.( .74 )

Thats what i thought! I allready have aquired a lly/ally wiring harness, Dose the ally need the factory dash cluster and stering column shift to work right?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
If i ever get to that point HP/TQ wise, if the ally is still having issues, im leaning towards a Lenco w/Bruno converter setup. If i remember corectly, Lenco has a "street tranny" too, if it will hold. I do have a 3spd Lenco right now, setup for a clutch and is air-shift. need 2 more gear sets:D Least we have a reverser too:D;) My concern with the ally besides Hi-power survivability is the whole clutch2clutch setup, Mike, you stated that burnouts cause damage to the Ally? And some said, "well no biggie, we dont really need to heat our tires". <--- Well thats fine when your a 4x4, I'm 2wd and i'll need all i can get traction wise and thats prolly going to mean nice hot sticky slicks. So what can i do?
Can we throw the tranny into neutral before we let off during burnout? let off slow?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
If you could manual shift it, get the tires to start spinning in 1st & shift to 2nd. I forget if they do that on powerglides or another tranny.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
Yes the weight of a full size would be the limiting factor for sure, but what about a 2500-3000 lbs drag truck? do you think it would live?

how fast are you planning on going?in a light truck setup the ally does a good job of holing up.orange crush weighs in around 3800 lbs and the tranny holds decent from what i understand...

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
how fast are you planning on going?in a light truck setup the ally does a good job of holing up.orange crush weighs in around 3800 lbs and the tranny holds decent from what i understand...

our truck will be about 2600lbs race weight, so adding a heavy alli is not an option. we plan to out run the current prostock truck records. :D

were just going to stick with the lenco....

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
nothing is going to last at the big power levels in a truck 6000 lbs. ponder it , these trucks are big heavy pigs add 1500 pounds of tq trying to push the mass and if the tires don't break out the trans will have to break or the driveshaft will wad up in a pretzel. IMHO.

However, to answer the gents aroginal question... I would purchase one in a second. Why? supply and demand pricing based on availabilty...

If the gas guys are using/have broken/replaced parts on there rides and have been doing so for years... the parts to fix it after we diesel guys (less diesel, smaller market, higher priced/harder to find parts) break it will be FAR less. Original build cost may be the same (doubt it) but down the road it could/should be cheaper.

Summary, if we know we are going to break it... why buy the one that is so expensive to fix? Consider the same thinking when you purchase a COMPLETE balanced stroker kit for a 500 +" BBC. I can only buy rods and pistons for my diesel....

Let the gasser guys in we need more competion to improve the diesel product. :poop: