Race Cover??

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
First question, Does the Standard MPI twins (what I have) come with a race cover on the S475??

What is the the diameter of a race cover?

Can a race cover be put on the MPI kit? will it fit?

I guess the main question is will I gain any hp putting one on? (if I don't have one already)

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
LOL I only have a stock turbo and can't figure out my fuel problem to put the twins on. BTW I wasn't making fun of you. You see that LMM on DP with the twins pulling.

Haha I know you weren't:hug: Yeah you mean that gray one that Nick is tuning with stock motor and s480 over stocker?

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Mike is it time to go bigger?

Nah I don't think so Tyler, don't really see the reason to go bigger low pressure charger with the stock charger, don't think I would see to much gain there besides slower spool and higher drive pressure. Maybe a little hp but prolly not worth it. I don't really want to change out the stock turbo either. I like the spool up of the VVT since I am driving and towing all the time.

Why did ya have something in mind?:D

Tyler@MPF

Oct 28, 2008
You could always swap the stock vvt out for another vvt such as a 4094vvt or Danville. I think I have decided that is what will happen with mine when I decide to take the next step. First I plan on Up-pipes and Manifolds and 45% nozzles.

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
The standard BW cover is a 9.0" and Bullseye race cover is 9.5", not sure about the other BW cover and like stated the inlet is a 5.5" so you'll need a silicone adapter. In my experiences the race cover doesn't make a noticeable difference in performance with twins, so it doesn't appear worth the extra money or effort.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The standard BW cover is a 9.0" and Bullseye race cover is 9.5", not sure about the other BW cover and like stated the inlet is a 5.5" so you'll need a silicone adapter. In my experiences the race cover doesn't make a noticeable difference in performance with twins, so it doesn't appear worth the extra money or effort.

If it costed more i would say the same , from what i tested i saw about a 50 deg EGT difference , from BW claims i expected more but 50 deg EGT drop for 300.00 , that cheaper than a lot of stuff that does less . If a guy is wanting "Max Effort" out of a S475 then i usually recommend it but i agree it isnt a big difference .

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
You could always swap the stock vvt out for another vvt such as a 4094vvt or Danville. I think I have decided that is what will happen with mine when I decide to take the next step. First I plan on Up-pipes and Manifolds and 45% nozzles.

Your already running a 4094 VVT do you mean you are going to twin it with a S480?

Tyler@MPF

Oct 28, 2008
Yes, I intend to run the S480 with my 4094vvt. Just not quite ready to tear into the engine.

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
[/COLOR]

If it costed more i would say the same , from what i tested i saw about a 50 deg EGT difference , from BW claims i expected more but 50 deg EGT drop for 300.00 , that cheaper than a lot of stuff that does less . If a guy is wanting "Max Effort" out of a S475 then i usually recommend it but i agree it isnt a big difference .

I see what you are saying, but performance wise its not there even for someone going max effort with the stock fuel system. If you are adding boost pressure(cooler EGT's) then you are also going to add drive pressure so there is a downfall. The way I look at it, it would be like adding a larger compressor wheel except you don't have the added rotating weight of the larger compressor wheel. I'm running the bulls eye cover on my daily driver right now, couldn't tell for sure if there is a difference in psi, maybe 1-2 at the most.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD

Yeah that would be nice but with stock fueling I just don't see me gaining much with a better high pressure turbo. Do you? I Just don't think it would be worth the money at all, unless I plan to build the motor and push more fuel.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I see what you are saying, but performance wise its not there even for someone going max effort with the stock fuel system. If you are adding boost pressure(cooler EGT's) then you are also going to add drive pressure so there is a downfall. The way I look at it, it would be like adding a larger compressor wheel except you don't have the added rotating weight of the larger compressor wheel. I'm running the bulls eye cover on my daily driver right now, couldn't tell for sure if there is a difference in psi, maybe 1-2 at the most.

I def see what you saying and it may be true, it would take a lot of testing to know for sure and i did a whole bunch last year testing drive pressure and the best ways to get the lowest possible and boost will drop when DP is dropped so they are connected , but boost and flow can be different and are not always easy to see the difference , kinda like running a bushing in your turbo for sled pulling , it effects flow a lot more than boost , and a visible ( in gage) EGT reduction means you are pumping more air into the cylinders that can not be debated .