LLY: Questionable turbo play??

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I am in the middle of changing out my cp3 pump, just got the pump out and thought id check the turbo out, it feels a bit loose to me...

It doesn't seem to have any in out play, but the left/right up/down seems excessive to me, but I don't have the spec or a set of feeler gauges, I took a short video, it doesn't look like it has hit the sides, but its pretty damn close.

I have the cp3/y bridge out, so if its bad/questionable, now is probably the time to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVjTtUVwkNM

also took a pic, tried to get as straight on as possible, looks like as it sits the gap at the top is slightly larger than the bottom.

any suggestions/help appreciated

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
It’s fine. If it hasn’t hit the housing, and it doesn’t have end play your good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Ok, Thanks guys. it didn't move any that I could feel in and out. ill just keep going and put it all back together.

so other than it hitting the housing, the in and out play is what really tells if the bearing is bad? that and maybe making a bunch of noise? I am just curious

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Do you run an air filter!?! Fair amount of buildup.

The spec for thrust / axial (in-out) is very minimal. If you can feel it move, the thrust bearing is toast. Radial movement (up and down) is more forgiving as those bearings float in oil.

Reactions: no spark

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Do you run an air filter!?! Fair amount of buildup.

The spec for thrust / axial (in-out) is very minimal. If you can feel it move, the thrust bearing is toast. Radial movement (up and down) is more forgiving as those bearings float in oil.

I have a S&B LBZ CAI on it, everything appears to be sealed.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Interesting.

Mine has the mesh bag over a dry filter, I have the oiled one also, but it needs to be cleaned, maybe replaced?

This filter set up has been on for about 3 ish years, prior to that the truck was 100% stock up to 100k

What other filter setup work well?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Interesting.

Mine has the mesh bag over a dry filter, I have the oiled one also, but it needs to be cleaned, maybe replaced?

This filter set up has been on for about 3 ish years, prior to that the truck was 100% stock up to 100k

What other filter setup work well?

If your driving a lot of dirt roads or up the Dalton run the stock filter Mike. That glacial till is rough on shit. I changed a lly turbo that had ate the comp wheel away completely but it had a hole in the intake boot too...

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
If your driving a lot of dirt roads or up the Dalton run the stock filter Mike. That glacial till is rough on shit. I changed a lly turbo that had ate the comp wheel away completely but it had a hole in the intake boot too...

The only dirt I drive on is my driveway, and my road coming to my house, which I'd guess is less than a 1/4 mile, but that's it.

I had the whole intake out doing the cp3, I didn't see any leaks on the clamps or holes

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
coming back to this was checking my stuff while i had the cp3 out, found the o ring for my small plug on the LBZ mp is all boogered up, and the large one doesnt seem to fit as tight as i thought it should and there was debris on them, so i ordered a HSP VGT turbo inlet, just get rid of the plugs