Help: Question for salesmen!!!

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
So I’m buying a Jayco trailer and the monthly premium seems pretty steep. I did opt for an extended warranty that was $18 a month extra bring the grand total to $232/144mo.
That seems pretty steep for a $18.5k sticker price and 6.8% interest. My credit is only a few points from maxing out so that isn’t a factor in specific regards to the high payment. My question is simple....why am I paying 12k in interest and taxes in Idaho and with the extended warranty I’m right at 15k? That seems awfully high and almost insulting.

I haven’t signed squat on it or even picked it up but I know if I ask their salesman they will probably give me the lip treatment to keep me from leaving and getting a Hideout RV (cause I already said I would with their first sticker price offer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
That 6.8% is killing you ESPECIALLY for 12 years. That’s insane. My truck is financed for 18k for 7 years at 3.75% and it’s $250 a month

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
That's probably the worst deal you could ever fall in to.

Never tell a salesman how much a month you want to be at, just get a final price OTD and you'll decide if you can afford it.

And try to get financed through a local bank, not the dealer. Some places will try and rake over the coals no matter how good your credit it. You probably won't get awesome rates regardless of the bank though, recreational stuff is always higher than autos. When people lose their jobs, that's what they stop paying on first

Last edited:

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Contact ICCU (Idaho Central Credit Union). They have the lowest rates in the state for auto & RV loans.

What Jayco you getting?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
interest rate and 144mo is doing you in. look at a 7 or 5 year and see what they will do for interest rate. Id also shop around for loans like Jesse said. I went in to buying ours with a backup if the dealer would not get me the rate/term/payment i wanted. I also over pay my payment as at that time, going a shorter term made very little difference in rate percentage.

When we bought my wifes Canyon, it was 14k and we did it through a local credit union. 4 years at 2% with a 330 payment per month. this was back when interest rates were WAY low though. a 6 year was almost 3.5%.

same thing we did on our house. re-fi'ed to a 15 year loan from our 30, shortened us up 10 years in payments, lowered rate over 1% and monthly payment hardly increased.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Never finance something you haul or drive for more than 4-5 years,and try to put as much down as you can I usually try to finance for 2-4 years as interest is lower and it’s paid off before it’s junk.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Never finance something you haul or drive for more than 4-5 years,and try to put as much down as you can I usually try to finance for 2-4 years as interest is lower and it’s paid off before it’s junk.

X2!
If you can’t afford something you shouldn’t buy it:thumb:

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
interest rate and 144mo is doing you in. look at a 7 or 5 year and see what they will do for interest rate. Id also shop around for loans like Jesse said. I went in to buying ours with a backup if the dealer would not get me the rate/term/payment i wanted. I also over pay my payment as at that time, going a shorter term made very little difference in rate percentage.

When we bought my wifes Canyon, it was 14k and we did it through a local credit union. 4 years at 2% with a 330 payment per month. this was back when interest rates were WAY low though. a 6 year was almost 3.5%.

same thing we did on our house. re-fi'ed to a 15 year loan from our 30, shortened us up 10 years in payments, lowered rate over 1% and monthly payment hardly increased.

I wanted to do a 15 fixed rate on my house but everyone I know talked me out of it and said make an extra payment once a year and then it’s a 20 year loan.

I’m gonna see what other deal they can sling on a smaller term. I didn’t necessarily opt for 12 but it was the option they called and told me about but I’m thinking if I do a 7 year warranty I might as well get a 7 year loan.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
I’m gonna see what other deal they can sling on a smaller term. I didn’t necessarily opt for 12 but it was the option they called and told me about but I’m thinking if I do a 7 year warranty I might as well get a 7 year loan.

Don't forget to claim the income tax deduction since the loan is considered a mortgage on a vacation home.... :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I wanted to do a 15 fixed rate on my house but everyone I know talked me out of it and said make an extra payment once a year and then it’s a 20 year loan.

yup, jumping the payment works accept you still get that higher interest accrued monthly. I lost PMI when i switched to the 15 year so that helped a good amount in my monthly payment. not going to give them damn banks more than i need to :D

that would depend. these fricken things are rolling earthquakes. if you really plan to own it that long, the extended warranty isnt a bad idea but how far are you from a service center? whats the deductable? doesnt it cover? I had just the factory 2 year warranty on mine but fixed alot of issues myself if i could. always seemed to be a pain to get the trailer to them to be worked on.

when/if you do get it, pull a wheel hub with a brake on it soon as you can. Lippert chassis does 90% of these new trailers now and between Lippert, the the trailer mfg and dealer PDM done on the trailer, they wind up overpacking the hubs with grease through the easy lube zerk and then blowing the back seal out. it gets all over the mag, shoes and drum and ruins them. not cheap to replace all those parts either. My trailer, my brothers, and about 4 other friends all had this issue on brand new toy haulers along with a long list of guys on the FB group pages.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
When I by a rv I come in with my own finances. And screw that extended warranty. If I'll break it will do in the first year. Also I only do 3 year notes.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
yup, jumping the payment works accept you still get that higher interest accrued monthly. I lost PMI when i switched to the 15 year so that helped a good amount in my monthly payment. not going to give them damn banks more than i need to :D

that would depend. these fricken things are rolling earthquakes. if you really plan to own it that long, the extended warranty isnt a bad idea but how far are you from a service center? whats the deductable? doesnt it cover? I had just the factory 2 year warranty on mine but fixed alot of issues myself if i could. always seemed to be a pain to get the trailer to them to be worked on.

when/if you do get it, pull a wheel hub with a brake on it soon as you can. Lippert chassis does 90% of these new trailers now and between Lippert, the the trailer mfg and dealer PDM done on the trailer, they wind up overpacking the hubs with grease through the easy lube zerk and then blowing the back seal out. it gets all over the mag, shoes and drum and ruins them. not cheap to replace all those parts either. My trailer, my brothers, and about 4 other friends all had this issue on brand new toy haulers along with a long list of guys on the FB group pages.

The deductible is paid up to $1000 for any damage and the warranty is bumper to bumper with no price caps. The coverage also applies to the tow vehicle, if the trailer causes a blow out it’s covered, if the hitch snaps and send that trailer into my truck it’s also covered. That isn’t two separate packages it’s all one 7 year care plan for $18 along with lifetime services every winter and an inspection for the length that I own the trailer.

I’m strong arming the dealer right now. Basically told them how it is. They filled it up and I bailed on the walk through and signing. Not the type of operator I am but it’s my bank account and I’m sure they don’t pay my bills and I felt as if I needed to educate myself more. After going through the paperwork process I have 10x the amount of concerns than prior so my gut said to reach out to others.
I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m honestly gonna shoot for a 7 years at 5% ish or else no deal

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
I’m just gonna leave this here.

Debt is dumb. CASH is KING

Sorry guys we have turned over a new leaf here we will never buy anything on debt ever again. Our next truck and camper is going to be paid for in cash. Sorry salesmen that’s the way it’s going to be.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Until you find out that financing usually gets you a better deal, more incentives. Dealer gets the same cut cash or not. Take the loan and do an early payoff (only if there's no fees of course)