Putting things into perspective

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Be thankful guys

As a kid I was into the RC car scene and now like you guys, I'm into diesels. I recently go the bug to check out RC again and ran across this post when researching motors.

"...It’s well over 3 years old, and gave out on me last weekend at the track. I know that this can be a devastating blow for any racer. Next to the RC rig itself, the next biggest expense is the motor and speed control..."

To put things into perspective, some of these motors run upwards of $200, and I remember wishing I could have a high-end motor that cost that much.

In our world we deal with trannys that run $5000+ and motors that go for $10000. For some of us it takes $100+ to top off our tanks. Some of those RC guys are struggling to keep participating in their hobby, it hurts when their motor or ESC goes out.

We have a lot to be thankful for, especially if we are fortunate enough to participate in modding diesels or even owning one.

Just something that struck me and thought I would share.

P.S. Any RC guys out there, speak up.
1st Gen E-Maxx and Team Associated T4 here.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I gave up RC racing when I moved from Norcal in 2004. Sponsored by Team Associated and Team Losi for 3 years. Traveled all around Cali for races. Had a few 1/8 scale pan cars, 2-3 XXX-S Losi 4wd on road cars, and 2-3 TC-6 touring cars. Loved it, and I truely miss it. Makes me sad that the cars I used to race have been discontinued.
I remember when "brushless" motors first came out and expensive for what they were, now, their all 100% standard.

TonOfDalt

More is better!!!!
Aug 9, 2012
Spoke Valley, WA.
My first RC Car was a Traxxas Rad 2... My first Nitro was a Panda 10 Stadium Truck... After that I went to 1/8 with the Turbo Inferno (Great Car)... I even remember helping my Grandpa put together his Tamyia Grasshopper I think it was, lol!
I now have a Inferno MP7.5 that I just bought a new motor for this spring... The newest OS ($450.00!!!!)

Its amazing to see the changes that have occured over the past ten years in the RC world ater leaving it and then coming back to it. I cant believe how far electric has come... I dont think I could ever leave the sounds/smells though of Nitro!

Something that was pleasent to see though is the advancements in Radio tech... Everything is Digital Spread Spectrum now.... I looked like an idiot coming to the track this spring with my giant 3 foot antena next to these guys with 6 inch antenas... I had to ask why theres was so short, lol! Now I got myself a fancy Futaba Spread Spectrum.

Rico

Wheeler
Oct 21, 2012
Burlington, ON
Yeah, I wasn't into it as a kid but got into it as I enjoy rock crawlin in my Jeep. Me and my buddies were all about those big orange jeeps Walmart carried a few years ago (the name of the currently alludes me). Then Losi and Axial came out with their rc crawlers and we all got but by the bug, building little rock crawl courses at work and in our backyards. Definitely a big difference between the little ones and the big ones. Blown up steering on the rc crawler doesn't break the bank like breaking the Jeep that's for sure.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
2wd Slash here just got back into it also. These lipo brushless trucks are crazy fast!

My friend is real deep in it and he spends money like its water on these trucks and says I spend too much on my truck lol. But his $30 or $40 parts add up real quick when he's buying stuff every other day.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
First gen t-maxx here, bought it when it first showed up at my hobby store. Just recently got it back runnin again and is till all original. I beat on a traxxas slash 2wd

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Still have an all aluminum T-Max in the shed. That is an addiction I will never shake, it has just evolved into remote helicopters now. Damm, they are cheap and fun...:woott:

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
I did a little RC stuff. Have an RC10GT with a .18 engine destroked to .14 for comp, FM remote, and almost every upgrade possible. Haven't touched it in years.

My thing now is rock crawling. I am currently rebuilding my 02 Jeep wrangler, with a tire size of 43". That ain't cheap ether.