LLY: Properly removing GM paint

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
God this makes me cry
6306ad46728a5ed5cf3d6ad23256ed7a.jpg

LLY
04.5 CC/LB
LBZ mouth piece, S&B Intake, 3" cold side, 3" hot side , PPE intercooler, LBZ cooling stack, 3" downpipe, 4" magnaflow, EFI live, 6" lift

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Yeah all my chevys have this issue... it pisses me off. paint is good one minute then you start driving and huge patches flake off.

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
What kind of nozzle is that? My turbo nozzle on my pressure washer removed a some paint on one of my doors.

It's just a basic hose nozzle.

LLY
04.5 CC/LB
LBZ mouth piece, S&B Intake, 3" cold side, 3" hot side , PPE intercooler, LBZ cooling stack, 3" downpipe, 4" magnaflow, EFI live, 6" lift

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah all my chevys have this issue... it pisses me off. paint is good one minute then you start driving and huge patches flake off.

It's frustrating. I'm super thankful I already have the paint for the color change.... now I just gotta find the time sooner than expected

LLY
04.5 CC/LB

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Yep a common issue for the white crowd. Mine did the same thing, pissed me off since it was a mint truck.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Probably going to have to take the hood down to clean metal and reprime it, too. My bodyshop had to do that in order to properly repaint my hood after the paint delaminated.

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
Probably going to have to take the hood down to clean metal and reprime it, too. My bodyshop had to do that in order to properly repaint my hood after the paint delaminated.

Yeah, I plan on doing that to the roof also. 3M bristle discs work wonders and make the job easy.

LLY
04.5 CC/LB

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
black trucks dont have this issue.... just saying :rofl: :D

Go ahead.... just rub it in why dontcha.

LLY
04.5 CC/LB

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
Has nothing to do with the color and everything to do with the primer/prep from the factory. ;)

You're Absolutely right. It just so happens that the white trucks got screwed and didn't get given the proper treatment. It's like they just expected the white to work.

LLY
04.5 CC/LB

Jun 22, 2015
Mountain Home, ID
My LBZ has the same issues, I blew a bunch of paint off the body line on my drivers door last year and had it corrected. The body shop had told me it was a common issue with our trucks. IIRC he said it was the lack of a proper amount of UV protectant in the paint or something along those lines. Few weeks ago another section blew off my lower bed line so I'm just going to save up for a quality paint job in a year or two.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I lost a 3"x4" section off the door a few years ago, right in front of the mirror. Every time I would hit it with water It would flake off. I just sanded the edges of it and sprayed it with color match rattle can. It isn't perfect but it stopped the paint loss.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
68335ba4b17ce2209427cf76419e5aff.jpg

LLY
04.5 CC/LB

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
My paint is almost perfect, but I've kept my truck wax. Maybe that protected the paint from up rays.

Well maybe it's because y'all drive those piece of junk Chevys and I drive a real man's truck. GMC! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadRichie

I F**K S**T up
Jun 10, 2017
My paint is almost perfect, but I've kept my truck wax. Maybe that protected the paint from up rays.

Well maybe it's because y'all drive those piece of junk Chevys and I drive a real man's truck. GMC! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I'm so sad.
I wash, wax, clay bar and keep my rides as decent as I can.
This issue is on the cab and hood that I swapped onto my old "pristine" truck.

(G)ot (M)ore (C)rap you mean ?

LLY
04.5 CC/LB