Problems galore with LBZ

scesfiremedic

Oct 15, 2013
My LBZ has cost me a fortune recently and I’m still having problems.

Developed an oil leak from turbo end of December after 2 years of sticking turbo vane issue. Last summer truck went into limp mode and threw the P087 code after WOT twice. So, I put a new Stealth 64mm turbo in and did EGR delete, turbo up pipe, PPE lift pump with CAT filter, and fuel rail race plug (already had EFI Live, MBRP 4” exhaust, turbo down pipe, stock transmission, PVC reroute). After turbo install (and lift pump) I noticed the truck had a surge at traffic lights (had to stand on the brake at intersections to keep the truck stopped).i didn’t think much of it. I towed a 17’ cargo trailer home (about 5,000 lbs in light tow mode “50 hp”) and noticed no issues, no overheating, nothing at all.

Once I got home the truck threw 3 DTC for glow plugs, so off to the dealer for 8 new ones. They busted #7 and 8 and wanted $10,000 (50 hours labor) to remove heads and send to machine shop (I said no). They also said rear pinion seal was leaking (had new seal last October), they said torque converter was done (had a billet torque converter installed October 2015) and oil pan leak.

So, they fixed oil pan leak, and I took the truck back to tranny shop that did the torque converter and rear pinion seal. They called and said truck needed new yoke and rear seal and that the torque converter stator had let go, destroying the clutches and that my transmission fluid was black and heavily contaminated with clutch material. I urged him to send the torque converter to machine shop to get cut in half to determine what failed. Torque converter was fine, so now onto the transmission. Transmission problems found:
The C2 clutches were burnt
• The pistons had severe contamination due to burnt transmission fluid
• The transmission pump stator was leaking and bypassing oil which causes over heating
• The fluid was extremely burnt (black) and caused a large amount of contamination throughout the unit

So, new transmission and torque converter in, truck doesn’t surge at lights but the driveline feels like it is torqued up considerably. Edge Insight shows actual and desired fuel rail values are identical. In neutral actual fuel rail pressure reads 4.0 - 4.6 kpsi, but in drive it’s 6.4 - 6.6 kpsi when stopped. A buddy’s stock LBZ reads 4.2 kpsi in drive stopped. I flashed the ECM back to stock as suggested by Idaho Rob and value stays 6.6-6.9 kpsi. When I back up and put the truck in park there is a tremendous clunk (at times, not always - u joints are fine). I really think the truck has too much fuel rail pressure when in drive and stopped sitting at lights, but I’m no mechanic. Injectors are stock. Tranny shop isn’t happy with the excessive torque on driveline after new tranny and torque converter.

Out of curiosity I talked to tech at Allison and he said “ definitely the EFI Live caused the transmission failure”. I doubt that after flashing truck back to stock, as the truck still seems like it wants to launch at idle in drive with foot on the brake (does it in reverse too where it actually lunges backwards).

Any ideas? Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve? PPE Lift pump dialed too high? I really don’t want to fry another tranny! Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
not sure on a ppe lift pump but most are flow though as they can be turned off and the truck will still run. that would eliminate that.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Sounds like you need a better mechanic. Did they change the radiator or flush out the system? If not You might’ve just fried another TC.

“The” EFILive :rofl:

Cracks me up every time

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hot tuning/larger turbo/WOT on a stock transmission -- what could possibly go wrong?
What make converter were you running? Did this trans shop just do a stock rebuild on the trans? Stock converter?
x2 that if you didnt flush the coolers, you screwed this new trans right from the start.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
scesfiremedic All the above info is very important to address ! How long have you owned this truck ? Do you realize that you can get a good duramax shop to remove the heads , send them out , install ARP studs , new gaskets ,install new glow plugs and reassemble in less than 24 hrs shop time for less than 6 grand I also wonder if who ever did the EFI messed up the trans tune , or put in a transgo and saw where you drill the valve body plate and decided if a small hole is good a big hole must be better ! Good luck you need it !

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Is breaking the glow plugs off a common problem when changing them or something..? I changed all 8 of mine a few weeks ago with no issues, and I told a guy at Oreilys I just changed them and he asked if I broke them off....

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Is breaking the glow plugs off a common problem when changing them or something..? I changed all 8 of mine a few weeks ago with no issues, and I told a guy at Oreilys I just changed them and he asked if I broke them off....

yes it is common

gassux

Mar 14, 2010

it's common for people that do it on a cold engine. I pb blaster mine regularly and i don't change them unless i take a looooong ride.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
6k psi fuel pressure at idle shouldn't cause any of the symptoms you discribed. What is the desired when it is at 6k?

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
yes it is common

Guess I'm lucky then! I went into it not knowing that and just broke them lose, put the new ones in, torqued to 13 ft/lb, and went on with it.. I'll keep that in mind next time I do them on someone else's truck possibly.

The most PITA part in changing them was on cylinder's 2 and 4.. One was behind the intercooler pipe, one was behind the steering shaft. PITA