LB7: Problems after injector replacement

Jay33089

Feb 2, 2019
North Carolina
New guy from NC! Help!

What’s up guys? I’m brand new to the site and Duramax’s as well. I’ve always wanted one. I recently bought an 02 2500hd, LB7. I bought it with bad injectors. The crankcase was full of fuel. I drained it and put fresh oil in, just to be able to run it and make sure it was ok. Other than a miss every now and then it ran great. I drove it less than 50 miles as it was leaking into the crankcase very bad. Anyway I replaced all 8 injectors and high pressure lines. I had a return line bolt backed out a good ways, so that was the source of my fuel leak. I got it back together this afternoon. Took me a while to get it primed, but it cranked and ran great for 15 seconds or so. Then started to idle terrible. Really lopey. It didn’t really smoke at this point. So I’m thinking, maybe it still has some air still in the system. So I drove it less than 500 yards and something came loose. It’s started smoking awful, it was a dark gray color. It also sounded like the engine was knocking. I got it back in the drive way and shut it off. Let it sit for a few minutes and started it back up. Again, had the lopey idle, but no smoke and no knock. I idled it up to smooth it out. Then after 30 seconds or so it did the same thing. So I cut it off for a few minutes and got the same results, lopey idle, no smoke. I stopped before i really screwed something up. Any insight to this would be great! Again it ran/idled pretty good before I replaced the injectors. Three of the old injectors were full of crud.

Jay33089

Feb 2, 2019
North Carolina
The check engine light was not on. It idled just fine before the injectors were replaced. I’m going to take my scan tool tomorrow and see what I can figure out as far as any codes, and balance rates. Didn’t have time this afternoon.

Feb 2, 2019
Utah
How is the cp3 is it dirty usually the shop I was at we would replace replaced the lines and cp3

2003 LB7

EFI LIVE
CAT FUEL FILTER
5 inch flo~pro
Sitting on 33*12.5-44 ballistic 959/Atturos

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
We’ll plan on doing all 8 again but this time spend the money on quality injectors... I can’t believe people are still buying that shit. Lincoln diesel sells quality Bosch remains, I suggest you give them a call.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Probably have a few bad injectors from those half ass people. Lincoln, energy, or s&s are just about the only injectors to buy. Lincoln has the best prices hands down.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Merged both threads into LB7.

People need to stop looking for "deals" when it comes to buying LB7 injectors, you get what you pay for.

"Diesel Logic/Pensacola/whatever other name they go by" need to be put out of business for fraud.

Jay33089

Feb 2, 2019
North Carolina
The company I bought them from was Big Kahuna Diesel. It all sounded great! No mention of Diesel Logic anywhere. They talked them up as genuine Bosch remans. What I got was diesel logic.

GMC-ya!

May 11, 2009
I did a quick google search for diesel logic and the second topic was a guy that wrote a complaint about getting 5 out of 6 bad injectors for his cummins from them. Just throwing it out there....

Jay33089

Feb 2, 2019
North Carolina
Upon further investigation, Big Kahuna Diesel and Diesel Logic are the same company under different names. L & J Diesel mist be the parent company. Pretty bad when they have to run under different names for the same crappy product. So let the refund wars begin!

Jay33089

Feb 2, 2019
North Carolina
Got a code out of it today. P0193 fuel rail pressure high input. Did some reading and saw that a fuel restriction can cause this. Then it dawned on me. I put a Nicktane cat filter adapter on. I was in a hurry and didn’t remove the check ball and spring. So I removed them. It started back up and loped about 30 seconds and cleared up and ran just a smooth as could be for about a minute. Then started loping again. So I’m gonna get a stock filter and put on it to see if that helps. Maybe my pump is just weak enough not to over come the extra pull needed to flow through the two micron filter. Am I right in this or wrong? If a stock filter works then a lift pump is in order.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Check the balance rates and due a return rate test on the injectors. You may of gotten lucky but I doubt it, good luck getting your money back from them also.

Feb 2, 2019
Utah
You might also have a bad fpr try changing that out it’s a lot cheaper than a set of new injectors and a cp3.

2003 LB7

EFI LIVE
CAT FUEL FILTER
5 inch flo~pro
Sitting on 33*12.5-44 ballistic 959/Atturos