Problem greasing Kryptonite tie rods

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, I got all the parts installed this weekend. The main problem I am now seeing is I'm having a very hard time greasing the Tie rod ends. I can't really tell if any grease is actually getting into the ends, but if I don't hold the grease gun on the zerk fitting, it blows off from the pressure pretty much immediately. Even when I hold it, the grease squeezes out from between the zerk fitting and the guns adapter, and eventually is forced off the zerk fitting. Had no issues greasing the Moog parts (Upper and lower ball joints), or the pitman arm, which I discovered appears to be pre-charged with grease as a pump and a half in it started spewing a greenish grease.

Has anyone else had issues greasing the Kryptonite tie rod ends? I did note that the orifice on the zerk fittings on the tie rod ends seem to be 'noticeably' smaller than that on the moog parts. Should I go grab a zerk fitting kit and replace the fittings on the tie rod ends?

Aside from that issue, the front end seems MUCH better now. Prior to starting, the passenger side tire had a ton of play, probably due to play in the centerlink due to the idler an pitman arms. The Kryptonite idler arm and idler arm support seem orders of magnitude better than the stock parts... I can't see how you'd get ANY cenerlink roll with them.

The down side of this evolution is in the processes, I found I think I'm going to need a new front differential :(. Got play in the drivers side output.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Back the zerk off the joint a bit, it's probably too tight and sealed the bottom of its self to the top of the lining. It's common for that to happen, just back the zerk back a 1/2 turn or so and it should be good to go

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Back the zerk off the joint a bit, it's probably too tight and sealed the bottom of its self to the top of the lining. It's common for that to happen, just back the zerk back a 1/2 turn or so and it should be good to go
So that's what causes it! I've wondered about that for years. Makes perfect sense, just never thought of it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So that's what causes it! I've wondered about that for years. Makes perfect sense, just never thought of it.

lol it stumped me for a little while till i pulled a zerk out one day to see if crap got inside the joint and saw the little impression it was leaving. then it dawned on me :D

sometimes you need to relieve the pressure off the joint as well if its doing it on a joint thats been on the truck for some time. the ball will wear into the cup and push up against the zerk. normally by that time its time to replace the joint but ive had some ball joints still do that, namely my bottom ball joints on the truck

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
No joy. I backed the zerk fittings out, actually a little more than half a turn, and same thing. had some grease come out from around the threads of the zerk fitting too so it seems the grease is getting into the bottom of the ball joint, but at least on the inners, it does not seem to be getting to the boots. The outers seem like they might have grease in them, but I can't tell for sure..... Could it be the gun is trying to move too much grease for the size of the orifice?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I got an e-mail back from Mike; Apparently they are pre-greased and due to tight clearances, might not take more grease right now.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats kinda a bs answer as its not like the ball is completely enclosed in a casing that wont allow you to add more grease after a certain point.

id give it some time and see if you can add grease back to them after things wear in some. if not, that lifetime warranty is there and ready if one goes!

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
So what happens 5000 miles down the road and they still won't take grease? They gonna give you new ones. I have never personally heard of something being tight and not taking grease. Its just a tie rod end, you should be able to pump all the grease you want in there and watch it spill out the boot. If I buy anything new that has a zerk, I put grease in it before use and never had a problem