Pressure Test The System

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
What is the Best way to pressure test the system iv got a leak in a boot or in the intake manifold and cant find it

Need to know

Were Is The Best Place To Start I Thought The Pipe Connenting To The Turbo
What Kind Of Gadget Should I Use Or Make
How Many Lbs Of Air Should I pressure
How Long Should I Keep It Pressurzied
And What To Look For.

Last edited:

Jeff P

hail the V8 diesel
May 28, 2008
Queensland Australia
Apply shop air regulated to about 10psi directly into the turbo inlet then take a spray bottle with soapy liquid and spray around all the joints if you have a leak you will find it! and dont worry about the air escaping out of the motor it doesnt we do this on Cat 793`s V sixteens always works
Jeff

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
the way I did it is aces... tap into your intake manifold a 1/8npt Male to Male fitting(you can directly hookup your air compressor gun to it). Go to Home Depot and get a 4 inch pipe cap and place that over on the turbo inlet. I'd use a constant tension clamp instead of the weak clamp that comes with it(it will pop off over 40psi)

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I had to put about 35 to 40 psi in mine to find a few leaks. Like Jeff stated, Soapy water in a spray botter works great.

where did you put the air in on your twin setup? Did you just cap your big turbo and pressurize and that's all? Does it leak out the motor much?

the way I did it is aces... tap into your intake manifold a 1/8npt Male to Male fitting(you can directly hookup your air compressor gun to it). Go to Home Depot and get a 4 inch pipe cap and place that over on the turbo inlet. I'd use a constant tension clamp instead of the weak clamp that comes with it(it will pop off over 40psi)

You think you can rig it up to pressurize where the boost probe is tapped?

Thanks for the help guys I was gonna make a thread on how to do this, this is a lot of help

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
You think you can rig it up to pressurize where the boost probe is tapped?
You could but I like to see how much psi is actually in the system... its easier IMHO to tap in the front of it... I can do a DIY if you want?

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
I took a 2 1/2 PVC pipe about 6 inchs long and capped it off and installed a male air nozzle on it and a psi gauge and stuck it on the turbo side of the boot and clamped it so I can check the pipe, the boots, the intercooler, and all of the intake

Now im fixing to try it out it sounds like it will work everybody cross there fingers lol

Last edited:

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
It worked fine built this for $1.65 I found my leak too it was a gasket in the intake manifold

picture.php

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I have one leak where the intake meets the y bride, another where I blocked off the egr. And somewhere around my boot on the drivers side of the intercooler. No wonder I can't get over 29 psi of boost :rofl: