LBZ: PPE Standard and a P2610 DTC

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Hey Dan!

Long time no talk. I've got a question....

Customer of mine who I just switched over to EFI Live was having an issue with this DTC for the last three years while running your product, since the day he loaded the PPE tuning. He claims he tried calling multiple times and getting this fixed but to no avail. He claims someone from PPE said that it is an issue solely with his ECM and not their product. After I flashed the custom tune in, in a couple days the code returned to my surprise. My question is, have you guys had a somewhat frequent issue with this? I ask because a simple search turned up dozens of results from multiple forums of threads started by other PPE customers.

I am assuming since the ECM no longer is flashed with PPE tuning that it is now permanently defective...Which the customer is not pleased about. What say the man with the best answers?:hello::hug:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I have the same issue. I had a PPE and now efi. I got the 2610 with the PPE and still occasionally get it with efi. From what I understand It is caused by having the ignition on too long without the engine running during tuning. I personally dont think the PPE caused this problem. Also I would get the code from time to time out of the blue but usually during tuning. Not trying to speak for Dan, just chiming in on my personal experience.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Gm has had an update for the reoccurring P2610. Put the truck back to stock get the ecm updated via the dealer or the latest O.S. (for the truck) via EFI, retune and you should be all set. :thumb:

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
I knew what the code was for, lol, but I was curious of what causes it. Thanks for the reply Dan, but what if the Cal was already updated?;)

Not sure, pretty much everyone that called about it got the update done and have not called back... So I would assume it took care of the issue...

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
some info I found...
The P2610 is not related to fuel. It is a timer in the ECM that keeps track of the number of seconds that the ignition switch has been off. Your timer is latched and not functioning so the code has been set. With the ignition off, remove both of the ECM connectors and leave them off for at least 1 minute. Then replace them making sure to seat them carefully and completely. If you have a scanner, you can now clear the code and the light will stay off. If you don't have a scanner to clear the codes, the code will clear itself after 3 ignition cycles.

I think TIS has an update out in the SPS to reduce the likelyhood this code will set. I saw it the other day when I was doing a glowplug controller update.

The timer may latch if the batteries have been disconnected and then reconnected. The timer may also latch during reprogramming. The check engine light won't turn on until the test for the performance of the timer has failed 2 times in a row...so immediately after you reprogram or reconnect the batteries everything will seem OK. 2 keys cycles later you will know if the timer needs to be unlatched.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
OK. I'm not saying you're wrong Dan, I think there is just more to it that Jesse can explain to me because he opens these up everyday. But I will let you know what he says for sure.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Found this.. It may help you out.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may encounter a customer complaint of a check engine light (SES light ON) and a P2610 DTC may be stored in the ECM. This DTC may set intermittently after a reflash of certain modules such as the transmission control module (TCM), or glow plug control module (GPCM). Additionally, any loss of battery voltage to the ECM while the ignition is ON, can also cause a P2610 to set.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If a P2610 has been verified do not replace the ECM. Perform the following steps when encountering a P2610.

Turn the IGNITION OFF for 90 seconds. Unplug both the engine control module (ECM) connectors for 90 seconds. After 90 seconds has passed, re-install the ECM connectors. With the ignition on use the Tech2 and clear all codes in the ECM. This procedure should prevent future sets of the P2610. For 2006 and certain 2007 model vehicles, there may also be a calibration update available which addresses P2610 false sets.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

let me know

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
for the new trucks and vans...

On most engine applications, DTC P2610 (control module ignition off timer performance) can only set due to an internal Engine Control Module (ECM) fault. However, due to a difference in internal circuit design, the ECM in 2010-2012 6.6L Duramax diesel applications (RPOs LGH, LML) -- 2010-2012 Express and Savana and 2011-2012 Silverado and Sierra -- DTC P2610 also can set if power to the module is lost.

This can be the result of:

· Disconnecting ECM connector X1

· Disconnecting the battery

· A dead or drained charging system

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) or Service Engine Soon (SES) light does not illuminate until one of the following scenarios takes place:

1) DTC P2610 is active for two drive cycles

2) DTC P2610 is active for one drive cycle and a second key cycle interrupts the after run.

The ECM should not be replaced if DTC P2610 is set until all other DTCs are addressed and cleared. This DTC does not necessarily mean the ECM has experienced an internal failure.

If DTC P2610 remains as the only active code, follow the diagnostic information in Service Information (SI) document #2441958. This document clearly states the diagnostic steps required to properly clear this code. If the code is not properly cleared, it can lead to the incorrect replacement of the ECM.

After completing the instructions outlined in SI document #2441958, if DTC P2610 still remains as the only active code, review #PI0597. The PI explains that an updated calibration for the after run interrupt condition (scenario #2) is available for 2011-2012 applications. Verify that the vehicle has the latest available calibration file and update if necessary. #PI0597 also can help in identifying the cause of DTC P2610 as either a hardware issue that requires ECM replacement or as a wiring /electrical issue requiring further diagnosis and repair.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I'm going to bump this. I know it's a really old thread but I'm having this issue. My 06 LBZ popped this code 11-30-15 when I started the truck. The batteries had drained a few times causing a no start and we're disconnected a few times. Also a note somewhere in my thinking I decided I could fire the truck with one battery instead of both. Could this be my culprit and how can I go abouts getting this figured out and resolved

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
my LBZ has always done this after loading PPE or EFI tuning. I really don't think anyone has a good answer as to why. It doesn't hurt anything, its just annoying. Dan has been helpful when I contacted him about this way back when, but I have gotten some really interesting answers from some of the other people answering the phones at PPE. My truck has only ever set the code after changing the tuning, after I clear it once I never see it again until its re tuned.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Mine set after I disconnected batteries due to them being low. Now the stupid thing sets everytime I turn it on. Maybe I should get ahold of Dan or Tim

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk