PPE billet aluminum pick up vs fass draw straw

blownblue

Oct 22, 2008
Acme, WA
But I've been thinking of ways I could keep posotive psi all the time even with a low tank. The AD has the fuel return though the filler neck. I was thinking maybe moving that somewhere else and have it drop right next to the fuel pick up

Only thing I would be worried about is creating a vortex making the fuel not want to flow in as easy as possible into the pickup, as well as sending hotter fuel to the inlet imo.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
I don't mean to bring up this dinosaur but I am installing a Titan Tank and a fass 150 on friday. How can I ensure I do not have the 1/4 tank issue?? Pictures or detailed instructions would be appreciated! Thanks.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
When installing a pick up tube make sure if you drop the tank you block the sides up to simulate how it would sit when straped into position. If you pull the bed you obviously dont have to worry about this. But when you set the plastic tank onto the floor it does not allow the center to bellow down like it normally would when hanging from the straps. I only have experience with the A.D. plastic pick up so this will not apply to other pick-ups that have a pre determined length. The pics below show How I cut the cross hatches into the bottom of the pick-up, I only left about a 1/2 inch of space between the bottom of the tank (On Blocks) and the bottom of the pick-up. I have ran my truck down to less then a gallon remaining and it never stalled/died..

ADpick-up3.jpg

ADpick-up2.jpg

ADpick-up.jpg

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
What are the 1/4 tank issues you all speak of?

There are plenty of posts here and elsewhere stating that below 1/4 tank the Fass 150 draws nothing or air and stalls the truck. There are also a lot of vague ideas as to how to prevent this. I would like some tried and true solutions if possible.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Thanks Custom, currently I plan on using my stock pick up until I can get a sump, would anyone reccomend just a bulkhead union in lowest point on the tank?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Whats wrong with the stock pickup? I've ran mine down to a gallon before without issue with a stockpickup. I normally run about 40 miles with the E light on before I fill up also

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Whats wrong with the stock pickup? I've ran mine down to a gallon before without issue with a stockpickup. I normally run about 40 miles with the E light on before I fill up also

Fass 95 or 150?

I have done searches on 3 forums and the problem popped up on all 3 with the 150's unless I missunderstood and all I need to do is not change the pick up? Fass makes and aftermarket Draw Straw, PPE and Trippin have billet pickups, are these the solution or the problem?

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y

Trucks Vary, My 05 will go 75+ miles with the fuel light on, Our 03 LB7 goes maybe 10 miles on a good day before leaving you walking:( I suggest anyone testing theres carry 5 gallons of diesel with them;) As far as "Whats wrong with the factory pick-up" Nothing!! It is just limited in how much fuel it can supply due to its physical size. Under 550-600Whp I doubt you or anyone else really needs to worry about upgrading the pick-up..

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
I see, ya the Fass 95/95 and the 150/95 have few or no problem but the 150/150 is the issue. The AirDog also does not seem to have the issue.