PPE billet aluminum pick up vs fass draw straw

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Is any running one of PPE's billet aluminum pick up tubes??? Is it worth the money?? I see that Fass offers a draw straw as well. I don't mind paying the cash for PPE's unit if it's worth it.

Yes, the problem with the FASS straw is you can't run it lower than 1/4 tank of fuel... With the PPE/SD Pickup that problem is non existent

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
hmm, I was told that the fass draw straw fixed the 1/4 tank problem, i'll let you know in a few weeks, plan on dropping the tank and installing it next weekend along with new lines. I did visit with Guy about his billet pickup and he told me that his would magnify the 1/4 tank problem with the fass (unless I misunderstood him) :confused:

I wasnt aware that PPE made one, is this something I should re-think:confused:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Whats the difference between the FASS and the Air Dog 150 that would cause the 1/4 tank issue on the FASS and not the A.D.? I run my truck with the fuel light on often with no problems. I did cut the cross hatches in the pick-up though.:confused:

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Whats the difference between the FASS and the Air Dog 150 that would cause the 1/4 tank issue on the FASS and not the A.D.? I run my truck with the fuel light on often with no problems. I did cut the cross hatches in the pick-up though.:confused:

If I understand it correctly, the Airdog already has a drawstraw, the Fass does not come with one.

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Like mentioned above, our system is a regulated return set up. It returns fuel back to the tank via the return line. The stock D-max cup can be emptied when fuel levels get below the upper portion of the fuel cup. There are 3 ways to resolve this:

Install a STK-1001 kit

Or

Plumb the return fuel back into the fuel cup

Or

Enlarge some holes in the stock fuel cup to increase refresh rate of the stock cup. This has been done with good success.

If you disable the return line from our pump, you will run the pressure to max. (95 GPH is 80 PSI and 150 GPH is 25 PSI) AND it also disables the Fuel Air Separation portion of our system. I do not recommend this....

This is a direct quote from Dan at FASS for resolving the 1/4 tank issues. The units I have installed do not have the 1/4 tank issue, or at least I haven't had any customers complain about it to me. I am sure I would have heard by now.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i am with some of the others i have never had a low tank issue with my fass and stock pick up , but many do . i got my gravity pick up that is just waiting to be installed i still think this is the best fuel delivery you can get , though not for everyone .

Last edited:

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
I don't have a big problem when I get down to 1/4 tank. I have an airdog system with the draw straw on my truck. Only time where my cp3 has to draw its own fuel is when my low fuel light comes on but even theen the trucks responce hasn't been affected. Just seeing the FP gauge drop down to zero does make u a little paranoid when the fuel starts getting real low.

But I've been thinking of ways I could keep posotive psi all the time even with a low tank. The AD has the fuel return though the filler neck. I was thinking maybe moving that somewhere else and have it drop right next to the fuel pick up

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I don't have a big problem when I get down to 1/4 tank. I have an airdog system with the draw straw on my truck. Only time where my cp3 has to draw its own fuel is when my low fuel light comes on but even theen the trucks responce hasn't been affected. Just seeing the FP gauge drop down to zero does make u a little paranoid when the fuel starts getting real low.

But I've been thinking of ways I could keep posotive psi all the time even with a low tank. The AD has the fuel return though the filler neck. I was thinking maybe moving that somewhere else and have it drop right next to the fuel pick up

Thats interesting, I do not have a F.P. gauge so I have never noticed a difference when running with less then 1/4 tank..

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
i am with some of the others i have never had a low tank issue with my fass and stock pick up , but many do . i got my gravity pick up that is just waiting to be installed i still think this is the best fuel delivery you can get , though not for everyone .

I never had the problem with my fass 150/95, but the first time I got to a 1/4 tank with the fass 150/150, the truck died in traffic, not a fun thing to happen.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I never had the problem with my fass 150/95, but the first time I got to a 1/4 tank with the fass 150/150, the truck died in traffic, not a fun thing to happen.

i have the fass 150/150 also its funny how many exceptions there are with these trucks .
why did you steered away from the hellman gravity pick up me and a few other guys ordered them and with a order of 5 we got the price down to 150.00 i dont think any suction device will out flow posative feed like a gravity feed , lift pumps are better pushers than pullers .

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Chad do you or did you have problems with the p0087 code popping up?? That's part of the reason that I was looking into these parts

You know what, I have never thrown a LRP code on this truck, except while testing a bad Edge Juice unit for a customer. I run a HPFP 150 in my truck with the stock sending unit and never had any fuel issues at all...

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
With the AirDog and draw straw on my truck I have run it for long periods of time (45 minutes and longer looking for a station) with the low fuel light on, and fuel pressure stayed positive. I cut the flex tube off the stock pickup and use a quick connect to route the return from the airdog to the factory pickup location. Saves time during install and dumps the returned fuel right back into the tank, a couple inches from the AirDog draw straw.

Last edited: