Power window gizmo

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
My wife's Camaro has a pretty cool feature for the power windows and I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same thing on my 05. When you tap the button down the window goes down on its own, but you can also tap the switch up and it goes up on its own. You can still hold the button eitger way for manual control, but I would like to be able to auto up and down on all four windows. What do you think?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've looked into doing this on mine but the plastic internals of the window switch look too small to be able to shoehorn another button under the actual switch.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Theoretically its possible...you would have to do some internal modifications to the drivers door module. Then the other issue is how to incorporate logic for "pinch protection" so someone's kid doesnt get their hand broken or something if its stuck in the window when in "auto up" mode.

Probably more effort than its worth. There is quite a bit of "smart" logic in just the auto-down feature alone. Its not just a "latching" switch. You have to monitor the current draw of the motor so you know when its reached its stop, etc... Auto-up just adds even more (pinch protection).

The cost/time of R&D I would have to spend on this would probably make it cost-prohibitive for most people. (IE, the final retail price for such a kit in order to make up for R&D costs would probably be way more than people would want to spend on such a kit)

ben

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Gotcha. I didnt know if it would be a major mod or just replacing switches. Just thinkin out loud. Thanks!

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
DEI already makes a product for this. when I had my alarm installed I had the modules installed with the alarm. also when the alarm arms it automatically closes the windows. or I can remote open the windows as well. and the modules are current sensing so if the load is to great the windows stop.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
DEI already makes a product for this. when I had my alarm installed I had the modules installed with the alarm. also when the alarm arms it automatically closes the windows. or I can remote open the windows as well. and the modules are current sensing so if the load is to great the windows stop.

Exactly right, I forgot about this, thanks for reminding me! There is also some other company that makes a little widget that you plug into the OBD port that makes it so when you press the lock/unlock buttons on the factory remote in a certain sequence, it will close/open the windows.

It would be very easy if you knew the message structure and databus intricacies of the Class 2 databus (just make a little gadget that taps into the databus and sends a "window up" message to the driver/passenger door modules)....but I dont, and its all proprietary info that GM keeps to themselves.

The way I was thinking of doing it (I was completely forgetting that a data message could raise/lower the windows) was actually just making a little piggy-back device that would trigger the window motor individually, etc... A really Rube Goldberg method to say the least.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
This what you're talking about tinman? I just sent them an email asking if it would work as a retrofit into my truck, so we'll see what they say back. It's pretty cheap for what it does I guess.
http://www.drdetailshop.com/530T.htm

Thanks, Ben. But that's not exactly what I meant. I'm looking for the one touch up and down for all four windows for the buttons on the arm rest. I'd also like to add the keypad entry below the door handle too if you make one of those.