power steering pump

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
What do you guys with bigger tires do?? I can't turn the wheel if the truck is not moving. (I can, but my girl friend can't) It's too hard to turn, is there an aftermarket pump/setup?

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
After years of owning lifted Chevy's I've just come to the fact that you can't turn the wheel while sitting still. I don't think it's a good idea to even try and turn it if your not moving. I've found out that it is very hard on the steering parts. You will wear out the idle arm, pitman arm and tie rods faster if you crank the wheel while not moving.

If your looking for a better pump I would try AGR but i've never looked into it that far. I would look at their web site or give them a call. Your gonna pay for it though. They don't give those things away.

GCncsuHD

Go Pack
Aug 21, 2008
Statesville/Raleigh NC
Simply don't try to turn the wheel without the truck moving. 1. Its hard on your tires, 2. Its hard on the pump and steering box as well as the steering linkage parts. Even rolling 0.25 MPH makes it a million times easier to turn the wheel.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
PSC makes the best aftermarket pumps IMO. You can also stretch the spring out on the relief valve of the stock pump, and do a couple other things to increase pressure; but if you go too far you'll blow the back off the pump.

ben

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
on the older trucks (solid axle) turning wheel without moving caused strees cracks on frame around box. Not good on truck

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Boosted steering:D Step on the brake and the gas at the same time you are steering
you dont need to give it much throttle and it helps:)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
no...revving the engine up doesnt do anything for almost all "GM HD hard to steer" problems/cases Ive come across.

best advice I can give is get a modded pump or keep the front tire pressure up.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Call the guys at Howe Engineering (google it)

I steer mine with the locker engaged. Choose ram assisted , pump and hoses.

$2000 to do it right, no labor fab required.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Simply don't try to turn the wheel without the truck moving. 1. Its hard on your tires, 2. Its hard on the pump and steering box as well as the steering linkage parts. Even rolling 0.25 MPH makes it a million times easier to turn the wheel.

Thats not an option. I can't do a fifty point turn everytime I need to back out off a tight parking space. I need the tires turning as fast as they can as soon as possible ie sitting still or barely moving. I have to be moving at least 5 mph before it eases up on the steering. In fact I question if I even have power steering anymore.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
PSC makes the best aftermarket pumps IMO. You can also stretch the spring out on the relief valve of the stock pump, and do a couple other things to increase pressure; but if you go too far you'll blow the back off the pump.

ben

Could you shim the spring instead of stretching it?

SRomans84

Nov 6, 2008
Angleton, TX
PSC motorsports makes a standard output and high output pump, the high output requires a cooler and having the hydroboost high flowed. Their hydroassist kits are the best in my opinion. I would give them a call or shoot them an email. Kelvin usually answers email quickly

I can turn my tires from a dead stop, but dont really like to.

http://pscmotorsports.com

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Thats not an option. I can't do a fifty point turn everytime I need to back out off a tight parking space. I need the tires turning as fast as they can as soon as possible ie sitting still or barely moving. I have to be moving at least 5 mph before it eases up on the steering. In fact I question if I even have power steering anymore.

I would say you have something that is not right. I can turn a 13.50 wide tire at a slight roll (1mph) with no problem. I have to tug on the wheel to get the tires to turn at a stand still but it will do it. I don't have to hang on the wheel for it to turn.