power steering pump or hyrdoboost?

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
not really sure how the powersteering and hydroboost system work on these trucks but i have a problem.. Brakes and steering started making alot of noise when applied or turned. Sounded alot like the ABS but it wasnt because I pulled the ABS fuse and the problem was still there. added a little bit of fluid and it was still there. Went to start the truck and it started hard and now i have NO BRAKES OR POWERSTEERING. Im guessing its the pump but just dont want to throw $120 at it to find out its the hydroboost because im not sure how it works. Im guessing its the pump because they both do not work now. Pump looks easy to replace from what i can see. IT looks like its just a matter of pulling some nuts off and replacing it. Am I wrong?

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Im sure the pump is bad..i just pryed on the pulley a little bit and it pulled out a inch or so. BUT ive read that a bad valve in the gear box causes pressure to rise breaking the shaft. im guessing the valve stuck witch finally broke the shaft. THis problem has happend 3 times now and it always goes away after sitting for a bit. I guessing the valve opened the other two times and now it just stuck closed for good.. sound logical?

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
If the pulley can be moved.....the pump shaft is trashed for sure. Hopefully the pulley isn't. Because when you buy a new pump, it usually doesn't have a new pulley, at least the one I bought didn't. You will need to buy or rent the pulley puller/installer as its pressed on.