Power Steering leak

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I have been keeping an eye on a power steering hose leak for the last several weeks. It has now gotten the point where its spotting everywhere I park and have to add fluid once or twice a week.

My question is how difficult of a job is this? Any tips:
Take off wheel and fender liner?
Remove hot side intercooler tube?
Come in from the bottom or fender?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Fender liner and top as well. But I do have to remove the CAC pipe. Not to bad of a job. Get you a line wrench. Will help alot in those tight spaces! :thumb:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I've always took the top left line off the hydroboost and blew the fluid out of the pump, pulled the cac pipe, broke the lines loose on the pump and pulled them out. They can be a pain to get back on without pulling the belt and loosening the pump but it's been a long while since I've done it to remember.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I dont remember how I went about replacing the lines when I did my HB, but I do remember it wasnt all the difficult.

05LLYDMAX

Midget Nate
Jun 29, 2013
Best way ive found is through wheel well, just remove the liner and IC pipe and you will have all kinds of room.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Now that yall have provided the tips and procedure, I am in need of a flare nut wrench set. Anyone have any suggestions?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i actually prefer my snap on open end wrench over the cheaper flare nut wrenches i have. i dont know what they did different to these but they dont deflect/open up and grip extremely well on the nut with these little grooves in the mouth of the wrench. Have yet to round a head off of a flare nut.

IIRC its a 16mm and a 18mm depending on which line you are working on.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I'm going to go ahead and replace all 3 lines and I'm thinking of adding a power steering cooler while I'm there.

I found a set of dewalt flare nut wrenches but it only goes up to 16mm so I will probably skip that for now. I have an old set of craftsman and a newer set of kobalt wrenches up to at least 1" and 25mm.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
do you self a favor when removing old lines from rear box instead of using flare nut wrenches cut the line at the nut and use a socket.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
do you self a favor when removing old lines from rear box instead of using flare nut wrenches cut the line at the nut and use a socket.
Got it done today, and had to cut one of the lines at the steering box to get it out. After that, it was just getting the system refilled and bled. Also changed the oil and fuel filter while I was at it. All thats left is a new spin on for the transmission.