Possible Injectors going out.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
So I just bought a 2004 LB7 EC/SB almost two months ago.

130,000 miles, bone stock other than a GForce Performance chip the previous owner installed which i have since removed.

On the 4th while at my parents house someone noticed a white haze coming from the exhaust at first I blew it off thinking it was just because of the temp difference of exhaust and surrounding air.

Now it has a thicker white haze at idle almost all the time, exhaust smells like raw fuel. Is this my injectors? I really don't have the money for this at the moment and I'm really hoping it isn't.

I researched what truck I wanted for the past year, so I knew I was taking this risk in buying an LB7 (but do to lack of emissions this is what I wanted) I just didn't think I would be replacing injectors quite this soon.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Sounds like injectors for sure.

If you are tight on money, you can run it a while with bad injectors. It will keep getting worse, though. Power will go down, fuel mileage will go down, and the smell and smoke get worse.

The ideal solution would be to replace them now, but as long as they aren't at the stage where they start putting fuel in the oil, you can still run the truck safely.

Keep a CLOSE eye on your oil (like every time you drive it). If your oil starts going up, then your time has run out. However, that may be another 10,000 miles from now.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
Should I have remans put in or order new stock ones from say Industrial Injection? I realize of course doing this myself is by far the cheapest route but I don't know quite what to do.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
There are no such thing as "new" ones anymore. There all remans. You want genuine Bosch remans tho. DO NOT GET REFURBISHED. Big difference between remans and refurbs.

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
What is going to help me prolong the life of these "new" injectors? Are these lift pumps as good as they claim to be?

Yes. And a healthy dose of ATF when filling up. I've got 160,186 miles out of the original injectors in my LB7. Had a lift pump on it for the last 80K of that and been using ATF religiously. Some people aren't believers in the whole ATF thing, but I have used it with great success on my truck. My balance rates are all +/-2 or better and the injectors are still nice and quiet.

My .02

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Yes. And a healthy dose of ATF when filling up. I've got 160,186 miles out of the original injectors in my LB7. Had a lift pump on it for the last 80K of that and been using ATF religiously. Some people aren't believers in the whole ATF thing, but I have used it with great success on my truck. My balance rates are all +/-2 or better and the injectors are still nice and quiet.

My .02

Really, you put ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in the fuel tank at fill up?
How many ounces per 25G ?

Is this an LB7 thing?

Not knocking ya man, just talkin...

I have read all sorts of threads where ppl put engine oil, 2 stroke oil, used oil, and something else I'm forgetting, maybe it was ATF...into the tank? I thought I read on one of the forums that laboratory studies proved that all these things weren't all that great for the injectors? In the study there was every(or close to) additive available on the market, the study showed there were only a select few that really aided in fuel lubricity and removing/drying out water and conditioning the fuel, some even raised the cetane rating a bit. Iirc the top three were power labs system with diesel Kleen, stanadyne performance diesel fuel supplement and schaffers diesel fuel supplement, I use all three randomly and in almost every tank.

To the o.p-

The lift pump w/dual filter and using a good quality fuel supplement regularly should allow for a long life for the injectors and cp3.

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
I throw a quart in most fill ups. Every now and then I forget or run out. Usually keep a couple quarts under the back seat.

Not sure if its just an LB7 thing... haven't heard much about those with newer motors trying it. But like I said it works for me. I've got a few friends with ridiculous high mile LB7 trucks doing the same thing with similar results.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Well hell, if it works it works, miles don't lie, y'all gotta be doin something right:thumb:

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I throw a quart in most fill ups. Every now and then I forget or run out. Usually keep a couple quarts under the back seat.

^^^^^^^x2

ATF and 2 stroke oil. Wal-Mart has a gallon jug of each for cheap. It's some no name brand. I have ran this in my LBZ and LML.

Ronjt

May 30, 2009
I use a quart of ATF every fillup. Back when the injector failures where occuring my limited research on the internet and forums came up with one common theme for those who had long injector life: ATF

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
Runnin the ATF won't create any nasty soot or carbon in your manifolds and turbo? I have a similar problem with my 04 LB7 it only really smokes with smoke bad when I'm stuck in traffic for a while but I just installed a airdog kit and I keep it around level 4 on my six gun tuner under normal daily driving I won't see the smoke I also use diesel Kleen every full up which helps also but I would think the ATF would burn of slower and create alot of carbon in the cylinders all the way to the turbo