Polished aluminum wheels or black painted rims for winter

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good morning all!

I am looking for new rims to replace my stockers and only wanting to run one set of tires for storage reasons and simplicity. I was wondering how polish aluminum would fair in winter with all the salt we get here in Ottawa Ontario :) I am not a big fan of black painted rims but if I have to I guess there is no other choice.

Thanks in advance!

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
That is just the thing I clean my truck wash and wax twice a year. Other times it's right in the car wash.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Polished wheels suck running in the winter time. You have to spend alot of time cleaning them or they will end up looking like garbage. And when I say cleaning im talking washing them down and polishing them.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
If the polished alum isn't clear coated you'll be sorry you ran them in the winter. If they're clear coated you'll still have to clean them . I wouldn't go all winter same even with powder coated rims.

I have powder coated rims on my Jeep IF THEY GET CHIPPED forget about it! I have two rims in the back I have to replace this year. This freaking sodium chloride salt is a KILLER! Bib time KILLER!

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
How bad would they look after a couple winters? If it's like the stockers aluminum rims then it wouldn't really affect me... What the heck do they do with the stockers for them to last and why don't aftermarket companys provide rims that are garanteed for winter use without rusting or pitting.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I believe they are clear coated. There is a difference between polished alum and alum clear coated finish.Polished Alum you have to polish with a light abrasive compound to "cut" into the finish to have it shine by buffing,clear coat is like the finish on your vehicle clean buff wax. But even the clear coated to keep them fresh and nice need to be cleaned.