Allison 5sp: po872 and limp

Tbo88

Feb 21, 2014
Pa
had an issue the other with the truck towing and just confirmed that it does it with no trailer just driving after it gets over 185 degrees it throws p0872 and goes in limo mode.. let it cool down clear the codes and its fine again until it goes over 185 trans has maybe 3000 miles on it since rebuild new suncoast valve body new nsbu... only think I can think of is the first valve boby I got from suncaost did the same thing sent a new one put it in and its been working since then till last friday

Tbo88

Feb 21, 2014
Pa
that would be temperature related ? it works great till it gets to that temp then it limps

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
that would be temperature related ? it works great till it gets to that temp then it limps

It could be electrical, but I doubt it. I've never seen temperature cause a solenoid to act up. Usually it's floating debris.

Tbo88

Feb 21, 2014
Pa
its weird casue the first valve body did the same thing out this one in and it worked great 5 or 6 hooks to the sled and plenty of street driving then all of the sudden it decided to limp the other night.. I guess ill drop the pan and change the fluid again

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
its weird casue the first valve body did the same thing out this one in and it worked great 5 or 6 hooks to the sled and plenty of street driving then all of the sudden it decided to limp the other night.. I guess ill drop the pan and change the fluid again

I would find out why this is happening. Changing fluid is not the answer.

Tbo88

Feb 21, 2014
Pa
what could be the cause no metal in the pan no clutch material in the pan I had a stock valve body in the trans and its fine suncoast valvbody and it shits the bed 500 miles after I put it in

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
what could be the cause no metal in the pan no clutch material in the pan I had a stock valve body in the trans and its fine suncoast valvbody and it shits the bed 500 miles after I put it in

OK then you fix it.:D

Tbo88

Feb 21, 2014
Pa
idk how haha im not sure were to start other then taking the valve body part and cleaning it again

Tbo88

Feb 21, 2014
Pa
I understand what the code means.. I'm asking what could be causing the valve to stick on mostly brand new parts

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Cool. So now it's a simple fix. Change the solenoid E and you are home free. Funny how the last valve body did the same thing.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i didnt say that. I just said I have seen solenoids affected by hot fluid. I'm not an electrical engineer who can explain why, just stating what i've seen Mike.

I do know coils get weak, and that they get even weaker when temperature rises. Those are facts. Beyond that, I couldn't really tell you without looking into it further.

Last edited: