PJ Trailers

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Im heading down to my local supplier to place an order for a PJ Dump (DM) 7x12 with welded in 48" side rails. Anyone have experience with these trailers?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I've had a couple. Vary quality built trailer for the money. PJ and Load Trail are my first choice. H&H and Big Tex are disposable junk.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I've had a couple. Vary quality built trailer for the money. PJ and Load Trail are my first choice. H&H and Big Tex are disposable junk.

Thats what ive gathered as well. Ive also seen Walton trailers but i want 48" sides and they take 10-12 weeks to deliver. Im going to upgrade a lot on this trailer. Jack. Cylinder on the lift, add solar charger, extra set of d rings, upgraded tires and gotta get those 16"s powder coated lol

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Thats what ive gathered as well. Ive also seen Walton trailers but i want 48" sides and they take 10-12 weeks to deliver. Im going to upgrade a lot on this trailer. Jack. Cylinder on the lift, add solar charger, extra set of d rings, upgraded tires and gotta get those 16"s powder coated lol

My buddy had the inside of his lined by line x. Seems to be a good accessory for them.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
My buddy had the inside of his lined by line x. Seems to be a good accessory for them.

I can actually see that being a good idea. I will use this trailer to transport tools, table saws, chop saws, compressors etc. With just a powder coated deck they'd slide around all over the ****in place

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I have a low pro 16' PJ dump trailer and a low pro 36' PJ hydraulic dove tail. I love them both. they've been great trailers, never had to do anything to either of them. my dump is probably going to need a new battery in the spring. It is 8 or 9 years old though.

the paint in my dump is starting to peel off. I've though about having it rhino lined, but wondered how that will effect stuff while dumping. like it you got a wet load of clay I think it'd hang in there. I wish I would've got a plastic floor liner installed in it, not even sure if they offer it. That would help protect it and material would shoot right out of it. I drove a few tri axles that had them and never even needed a bed heater in the winter.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I had a 2018 28ft pj gooseneck it was a great trailer and pulled awesome. This year I got a 30ft big tex. comparing them both side by side youd be hard pressed to find many differences in how they are built. My big tex axles are a little further back thats the only down fall. I would coat all the boards and as mentioned protect the underneath. The bellys of most will get rust first.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I do live in Northern California so rust is not an issue for me, obviously if the finish breaks down i will rush. Thanks guys for the insight

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
My experience, and everyone else’s that I know that actually uses trailers every day are the exact opposite of what you guys are saying. Around here we say PJ stands for Pure Junk. The PJ trailers are junk. I was looking at my buddies PJ a little bit ago because he barely bumped a tree with it and the whole rear sill folded in, anyway, while looking at it I noticed that it was made in Mexico. He ended up getting an H&H and loves it. Another buddy has a Load Trail and a PJ and he says they are the worst trailers he’s ever had, and he’s a landscaper using them everyday, so he’s very familiar with equipment. When I was looking at buying a new gooseneck I just stopped and looked at a new PJ for kicks and giggles, and they welded c-channel end-to-end because they didn’t have a long enough piece, and the build quality was horrible. I was looking at more PJ trailers a bit later and the axles were off side to side about 3/4”, I had to check it again because I couldn’t believe it and sure enough, it was. And all the trailers on the lot were like that! Some were a bit better, but most weren’t.

I’ve had one of my H&H trailers which is a gooseneck since it was brand new in ‘04, I’ve put probably 40K miles on it, pulled it in the winter, loaded it with all sorts of different equipment, grossed the trailer weight at 23K pounds (it’s a 14K trailer), pulled a camper or boat behind it for thousands of miles and used it for so many things I can’t even remember, and yet, not long ago I had a guy ask me it the trailer was new lol, it still looks that nice.

A tire buddy of mine could break a solid chunk of steel with the way he abuses stuff, I told him to get an H&H dump trailer. He bought a used one and even after using it for 6 or 7 years now, he still hasn’t broken it, although I did rewire it for him because some brake wires got pinched, caused a short and fried.

Another buddy has an H&H dump and loves it.

I have a very large enclosed H&H and that thing pulls so nice and smooth. Friends with other enclosed trailers were breaking tools left and right because their trailers rode so rough and they ended up selling the trailer. I can leave tools on top of my work benches, drive 50 miles and the tool doesn’t budge.

The thing to remember is that H&H does have different lines. They used to only make top of the line trailers, but to compete with all the other manufacturers out there they had to come out with cheaper lines. So know what you are buying. I’ve never had anyone ever say that an H&H is poor quality, however everybody that actually uses equipment that I know says how bad both Load Trail and PJ are, and these guys have owned them, so they are talking from experience.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I have 2 goosenecks, a 40' triple axle and a 35 dual tandem axle. Let me tell ya, they are very good trailers. I haul heavy crap on crappy roads. They're not dump trailers but they are PJ's .

What I'm getting at is that PJ's are the shit.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Don't hold me to this, but I remember being told one time that the owners of PJ and Laod Trail were brothers that had a falling out. I was told they're made right across the street from each other.

If you pick any trailer apart you can find issues. but my PJ's have both been great. I love the scissor lift dump over the twin cylinders any day of the week.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
PJ's powdercoating sucks. Some of the fit and finish and engineering is lacking. Need more grease zerks for the hydraulic dove tail. My wife's cousin bought a new diamond C gooseneck dump. All i will say is my next trailer will be a Diamond C

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have owned a couple PJ trailers and currently own one and have no issues with them besides finish not holding up the best. Biggest thing no matter what brand trailer, make sure it had Dexter axles. Some manufacturers have been using cheaper china axles and they are hard to find replacement bearings and brake parts for them. You can get Dexter parts at Napa stores anywhere.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
PJ won't give you any issues, can be a bit overpriced from what I've seen though. Buddy at work bought an AMO trailer, seems well built, has Dexter axles.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Big Tex is a quality trailer. I work mine. Dump 7x14 with the sissor lift dump 10 years no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
We had a 2016 PJ quick tilt and it seemed to be a pretty darn good trailer but we outgrew it quickly. My only complaints with PJ is they powdercoat the entire trailer and it seems like their wiring retention/clipping isn't exactly good. The reason I do not like powdercoat is it is much harder for me to sand and repaint the chipped area. Living in the rust belt any paint chip turns into rust extremely quickly.

Our 2019 Texas Pride has impressed me in terms of build quality but also has its faults. It is EXTREMELY heavy for a 27ft gooseneck. It has a 17ft tilting portion. We grossed 23,880lb to Denver and back from WI without a single issue. That was an 02 LB7 CCSB with a box full of tools/fluids/4 people averaging ~225-250lb a person, towing my trailer, and my ECSB LLY on the trailer with 1000lb of plate weights and packed full of luggage.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Just placed an order for a 12' PJ Dump "DM". Got some upgraded options:
6 " cylinder on the scissor lift
Solar charger
Steel supports 12" OC vs 16" OC
48" sides
10k Bulldog single jack
Extra set of D rings
Black wheels
Upgraded to 14 ply tires
Added an extra tire/wheel mount with matching spare tire/wheel

Out the door with delivery (850$) was $12,600

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
I have a 16' PJ Low Pro gooseneck and it is a great trailer. Hauled a lot of gravel when working on my long driveway and loved how it handled under load.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
I currently have 3 trucks with B&W turn over balls and have installed a couple more. I like them better than other options for the price. Maybe guys that do more fifth wheel stuff primarily will have another opinion. If you’re installing them on a 16+ duramax, they are super easy to install compared to older models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk