Pitting on engine block ?

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
Hey everyone, I am doing head studs on my bosses ford 6.0 and after I cleaned the block I noticed some pitting on the block. I know it's a ford, lol but I am a bit worried about putting it back together. Is this something to worry about or not really? I thought of posting it here cause maybe someone here has ran into this before or done a ford. Thanks!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
If it we're me I would make him decided the final call, to do the job properly the block needs to be milled, but considering what that means ( full disasembly of the engine / rebuild ) it may be worth re assembling with the info that if this doesn't work what the repair will intel and what he would be looking @ cost wise both ways so he can make and educated decision.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Not good. Block and/or heads are warped.

How many miles? Was it stock or?
A failed headgasket will often cause pitting.. Roly as Trent said you either need the block decked ($$$$) or you can put it back together as is and cross your fingers.

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
A failed headgasket will often cause pitting.. Roly as Trent said you either need the block decked ($$$$) or you can put it back together as is and cross your fingers.

Jordan, how much are we looking at getting the block done? I am pretty far into it considering it's my boss. The heads got done and the machine shop said they weren't to bad he charged me $800.

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
If it we're me I would make him decided the final call, to do the job properly the block needs to be milled, but considering what that means ( full disasembly of the engine / rebuild ) it may be worth re assembling with the info that if this doesn't work what the repair will intel and what he would be looking @ cost wise both ways so he can make and educated decision.

I guess I will talk to him (owner) tomorrow. He saw it but really didn't think much of it, I guess due to the lack of knowledge.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Jordan, how much are we looking at getting the block done? I am pretty far into it considering it's my boss. The heads got done and the machine shop said they weren't to bad he charged me $800.

It just depends on where you go to have it done and whether or not your tear it down and reassemble yourself. You have a mean boss for making you work on a ford :D

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
There are some alternative repair techniques. A machinable epoxy by the name of Belzona comes to mind. Caterpillar uses it to repair all kinds of engine parts.

Cat 3500 series engines like to pit in the same area as your 6.0 block. As long as the deck is still flat, I wouldn't be scared to use it. Beats having to scrap a 90,000 dollar 3500 block.
http://www.belzona.com/prod1k.aspx

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

Ive seen warped 6.0 blocks and heads that were (supposed) to be decked. IIRC Ford's spec on head warpage is .006-.0015, big gap. :eek:

To the op; Was the head warped??

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
There are some alternative repair techniques. A machinable epoxy by the name of Belzona comes to mind. Caterpillar uses it to repair all kinds of engine parts.

Cat 3500 series engines like to pit in the same area as your 6.0 block. As long as the deck is still flat, I wouldn't be scared to use it. Beats having to scrap a 90,000 dollar
3500 block.
http://www.belzona.com/prod1k.aspx

Thank you, I will look into it. I know my buddy at work also told me about some copper thing he uses, not to sure what it is??

Ive seen warped 6.0 blocks and heads that were (supposed) to be decked. IIRC Ford's spec on head warpage is .006-.0015, big gap. :eek:

According to the machine shop it was .020. I know when I was removing the head several bolts came out extremely easy compared to others...

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Thank you, I will look into it. I know my buddy at work also told me about some copper thing he uses, not to sure what it is??

According to the machine shop it was .020. I know when I was removing the head several bolts came out extremely easy compared to others...

He is talking about copper coat I think. It is spray on and helps keep head gaskets in place & seals up slight imperfections on the deck & the head surface.

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
He is talking about copper coat I think. It is spray on and helps keep head gaskets in place & seals up slight imperfections on the deck & the head surface.

Yes sir that's what it is. I went ahead and used it. My boss didn't want to waste anymore cash, so we left the block alone (keeping my fingers crossed). I installed one head and it's torqued. Man it felt as if I went to the gym lol!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Buffing around the pitted area will give you a low spot and might make things worse than they already are.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

your gettin 0 happy brian lol. its .015 not .0015 :D

I know when I was removing the head several bolts came out extremely easy compared to others...

yeah that aint good