Picking the right filter over 500hp...

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
If come to the conclusion I'll try to find a way to modify the stock box and the way it draws air. Needs to be isolated from the under hood air temps, able to draw fresh air, and still not be susceptible to the elements more then it would normally, such as snow.

It may be that the more power I want, the less clean air I will be able to access. Wonder what the average cfm our trucks use under wot at various power levels and turbo setups. Anyone have any possible numbers?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I went overkill on mine for two reasons. 1) It is very dusty where I live, and theres no getting around that. And 2) there really is no downside to having MORE filter area.

You never worry about restriction, or sucking your filter through the turbo.

It has the ability to trap more dirt, rather than clogging certain areas and forcing air and particles through another. Air is fluid, and always takes the path of least resistance.

Single turbo, its easy. Get a pedestal tall enough to clear your bridge, and just make a S-shaped piece of tubing, weld on a PPE MAF sensor block, and pick your filter of choice.

Old pic but you get the jist:
2c0d8o.jpg

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
good thread. I'm running a 68mm and the factory unmodded airbox. I'm not eager to replace the factory airbox. The stock Donaldson filter looks to flow an awful lot of air.

SHOTZY

<"Whats next??"
Aug 27, 2008
melbourne, fl
Diamond forged pistons with total seal rings. Anybody run these or have any feedback on them? I know fleece likes them alot.