Performance Street Tire

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Need a set of summer tires that I can tow with. Was looking at Nitto 420's but the weight of the truck exceeds their weight rating. Any options out there?

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
What size tire are you looking at. A 205/50/20 in the nitto 420 or a toyo proxes st1 or 2 has a rating of over 3000lbs. They are not 10 ply, but the weight rating is good.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Well it's not so much of the look but the performance. I want to hit the track this summer but also need to tow, not a lot but for long distance. I like both the 420'and the proxes, can I get away with those? I know guys are running 420's but can you safely tow with those?

Mike, what are yourunning on your truck?

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I run Goodyear Wrangler "pro grade". They tow great and best of all burn outs are a breeze! Not sure if they meet the "performance street" category, but they are great.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
The nitto will not like towing... Reece ruined the rears on his truck pulling a 20ft. travel trailer to Alaska... Granted it was a long pull, 3,500 miles but the trailer was not that heavy.

How much weight are you wanting to tow and what kind of distance?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I think they wear because there soft not the load range. Soft plus towing is gonna wear. But if your like me you can't keep tires on shit anyway pick what u like!:thumb:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I have 420's and tow heavy but on short trips. They have done well. I wouldn't want to strike out across the country with 15k+ behind me but a couple hundred miles every now and then wouldn't be bad.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
I only haul a travel trailer or our bikes (max 10k in weight) for about 1000 miles (no Alaska trip that's for sure). Sounds like maybe I can get away with the 420's then. I just really don't want to buy another set of wrangler SR-A's or a blowout in the middle of no where... plus I want something that'll do well at the track too

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I only haul a travel trailer or our bikes (max 10k in weight) for about 1000 miles (no Alaska trip that's for sure). Sounds like maybe I can get away with the 420's then. I just really don't want to buy another set of wrangler SR-A's or a blowout in the middle of no where... plus I want something that'll do well at the track too
I was just telling my buddy I've seen way more Mt style trailers have trouble than street tires. Yet the mts are probably more common. point is, even though it's not right u always see a Hoosier with old car tire take offs on a trailer and they haul and get drug around sideways and it works so why not lol

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

They will probably work fine for that. If you keep in mind that there soft and act accordingly while pulling;) I think Reece got a little throttle happy coming up to the AK, big fixed vane turbo wasn't helping either haha.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I have had 420s on my truck for years now. I've towed 6k in boat about 600 miles and back once a year, my cargo trailer for work around town, and even had our Nova on a gooseneck up to Denver from Albuquerque. I've got more miles out of my 420s than any set of load E all terrains I've ever had reguardless of brand. I won't go back. Did I mention they are much cheaper?:thumb:

Just don't expect Discount Tire to mount them or fix flats, the answer is no

LBZ1991

Nov 21, 2014
Winfield, MO
I've got 420s on my truck and I haul quite a bit. Pulled a 30 ft gooseneck from St Louis to Topeka KS with two derby cars with no issues besides the trailer tires..:roflmao:

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
If you don't tow often have two sets of wheels and tires. One strictly for towing the other for everything else.