Parking Brake Adjustment

dieselman4224

Jul 7, 2011
NoVA
Ive been dealing with basically non-existent parking brakes for awhile. Just spent the last couple of days putting all new brakes on - rotors, pads, e brake shoes and hardware. I adjusted the star wheel on both sides to where the shoes barely grabbed the rotor hat. Then backed each off one click. Is there something else I’m missing??

BTW this all started after the cable running from the equalizer to the driver side broke. Could I have over stretched the other cables either when the one broke or during the replacement?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've done the same. found that they go slack again shortly after and no longer hold as well. seems like it last a little longer if I have them rubbing just slightly then done adjusting so when you cycle them a few times they are perfect. but after a year they are back to slipping again.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
After chasing the issue for years on all my GMT800s, I think I have it nailed down. The parking brake lever assembly itself has a slipper clutch to prevent over-applying the parking brake and stretching/breaking the cables very quickly. Over time, this clutch gets weak, the the pedal just goes to the floor without ever fully applying the parking brake.

If you replace the parking brake pedal assembly, I bet your parking brake works fine. For a few years, at least. Seems the new ones wear out quicker than the original.

I have been toying with finding a way to disable the slipper clutch and just be careful with how hard I press the parking brake. But too many other projects keep coming up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've looked over my parking brake pedal and I see not what you speak of. it was just a pedal with a cable attached. no kind of tension limiter or clutch. maybe I'll have to take another look

dieselman4224

Jul 7, 2011
NoVA
It seems like no matter have tight the shoes are set the pedal just goes to the floor with the same amount of effort. Willing to give just about anything a shot.

Last edited:

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Yeah the park brake pedal assembly has an adjuster as well built in. Suppose to just push on the pedal a few times to get it to take out the slack on its end. I’m not sure if it’s a clutch maybe like a ratchet pawl style but I honestly don’t know. I do know when you replace the pedal assembly they come with a locking pin in them to hold the adjuster